• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Has anyone added transom gate to 28 TE ?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

myalexander
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Fl.

Has anyone added transom gate to 28 TE ?

Post by myalexander »

I see that there are many boats with and without transom walkthru. I want the walk thru but could put it there myself if the structural support is the the same in the molds for both versions. Cutting the transom, glassing and finishing the cuts and adding a door made of "Starboard" material or teak wouldn't bother me if the horizontal and verticle supports are there. I haven 't found a boat to get aboard so I have to rely on those of you lucky ones that already have one. Thanks, Bob
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Has anyone added transom gate to 28 TE ?

Post by Cape Codder »

My brother Steve ordered an Albin thru Standish Boat Yard back in early to mid 90's. His was the very first black hull AND had the first transon door.
At that time Terry Compton (original architect)was always around the Albin plant. He said he could do it, and did. Since that time, many 28 TE's have come with the transom door. Perhaps Kenny Hilton at Standish in Tiverton, RI could give you the particulars.
It was my brother's boat, "Legaleze", that convinced me I would have an Albin in my future!!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Has anyone added transom gate to 28 TE ?

Post by Russell »

I would go that way only if the boat was outstanding in every other way and exceeded your greatest hopes except for the transom door. Otherwise you can avoid a lot of headaches by looking a little harder for one that already has the transom door. And if you put one in that does not look as professional as the factory installation you may decrease the value of the boat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”