• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Documenting your boat.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Sea Ranger

Documenting your boat.

Post by Sea Ranger »

Here are some of the advanatges and disadvantages to documenting your boat.

Advantages: The main benefit of documentation versus numbering, is that a documented vessel may be the subject of a Preferred Ship Mortgage under 46 United States Code Chapter 313. In practical terms, this means that lending institutions regard a documented vessel as a more secure form of collateral. For larger and more expensive boats, it may be easier to obtain bank financing if the boat is documented rather than numbered.

Another benefit is that the certificate of documentation may make customs entry and clearance easier in foreign ports. The document is treated as a form of national registration that clearly identifies the nationality of the vessel.

Disadvantages: The main disadvantage of documenting rather than numbering is the higher cost. The initial documentation fee for a recreational vessel is $100.00. The numbering fee varies from State to State but averages about $25.00. In addition, documented vessels are not exempt from State or local taxes or other boating fees. Some individual States require a registration fee even if a boat is documast Guard will inform the state that there is a boat in their jurisdiction.

From U.S. Coast Guard Consumer Fact Sheet
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Documenting your boat.

Post by DougSea »

Hi Sea Ranger and welcome aboard! Glad to have you here.

Not sure how familiar you are with web-forums, so my appologies if this seems overbearing. I'm assuming from your posts that you were esentially continuing the conversations others have started, which is great. And you've got good information. But the value is usually highest if your input is included as a reply to the topic in question, not as a new topic. Obviously if youre starting a new discussion then a new topic is appropriate. Again, just my 2 cents.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”