• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

winterizing

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

winterizing

Post by te102056 »

I am new to boating so this might seem like a stupid question. I just bought a 36 classic. I am located in Kentucky and would like to continue using the boat on nice weekends. I really don't want to winterize the boat for a while but we are expecting temps to get down to about 27 this weekend. Can I just put a space heater in the engine compartment to keep the temp above freezing or should I totally winterize. I was reading somewhere that as long as the water doesn't freeze around the boat then I should be ok. Is that the case?
Thanks
Tom
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: winterizing

Post by lpbp »

Up here on L Erie there is still the odd boat in the water , The water temp is still in the 40,s and we have had at least 6 nights below freezing . The water is warm enough at the water front to keep the coastal areas a touch warmer and hold off freezing in the engine compartments . But fresh water systems take your chance being farther above the water . But if you have concerns leave a 110 volt 100 watt light bulb on in the engine room or 2 if a bigger compartment .Some thing like a trouble light works good . There is enough heat there to keep things from freezing when the temperture dips just below freezing the odd night and your water temps are still up there . This is a common practise here , My self I would do this then have the worry of a heater in there that could be more of a fire hazzard. For the sake of a couple of cool nights and you are just trying to strech the boating season a safe and easy way .
But once that water temp starts dropping ,it is time to keep a very close eye on things.
te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by te102056 »

Thank you for the information. I will do just that.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I've done it both ways. 100 watt light bulb. (not reliable)
Boatsafe engine heater. (very reliable and safe)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”