• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1971 Steering issues

Albin's "power cruisers"
ppudwell
Mate
Mate

1971 Steering issues

Post by ppudwell »

I have a 1971 25 foot Albin (non delux) with stuck steering....what type of steering is in this modle and how would you go about replacing it?
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1971 Steering issues

Post by leprof31 »

Stuck? Hum... what do you mean the steering is stuck? :?:
Any steering, wood, bakalite or metal will do the job... I have one in steinless and my brother in wood... But are you sure, it is a steering problem?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Looking at your rudder post or the back side of your helm should answer the question of "what type". When trying to resolve "stuck" you would need to identify the "where" portion first; is the wheel jammed, the hub assembly or is it at the rudder.

Need more info!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Emelie
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Emelie »

What a coincidence!

I am at this current moment documenting the way we managed to fix our steering on our Albin 25 1971.

In our case the culprit was the "sugarcube" holding the wire that was almost broken. I fixed it BEFORE anything happened so i don't know what would have happen if it would have broken. Maybe it would have felt like the steering was "stuck".

Have a look at the pictures - is your "sugarcube" broken?
Rear steering mounting.jpg
DSCF6189.JPG
The rear steering wire mounting with the "sugarcube" is underneat the left bed. You need too unscrew the "bed" to see it clearly.

Let me know if you problem is the same as mine was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

HI
on a small wheel steered Sail Club support boat we had very stiff steering our little boat . we Lubricated the cable for weeks, got a special lubricator,and did all sorts , finally we gave up and bought a new Morse cable and it came with the steering hub all for under $150. Why did we wait so long? It was night and day better! These cable just give up the ghost after a while. After you are sure its not the rudder , check by disconnecting the cable, and then try the cable if it's stiff or solid you know what to do.
Good Luck
warren
PS measure the old one (or take with you) to get the right replacement length , very important to avoid kinks etc
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
ppudwell
Mate
Mate

Post by ppudwell »

Thanks for all the suggetions, but all I had to do is take the steering cable out and free the cable (a little rusty) and lube the heck out of it again and she works like a dream.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Glad to hear you got it worked out! And cheaply!

As someone who has had the steering cable on a boat fail at a really bad time I would suggest that you keep a close eye on this. Nothing quite like the feeling of turning the wheel, but not the boat!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by leprof31 »

I will during my winterizing inspection! Be sure of that!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”