• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winter Haulout

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Winter Haulout

Post by Bluey »

(Please don't throw rotten fish at me for bringing this up) : When is anyone along the Chesapeake hauling their baby for the winter? I'm an absolute newb, so bear with me - is it better to haul late so your pride and joy is closer to the front of the parking lot when warm weather hits in March/April, or do you pretend it's like removing a band-aid, and just get the hauling over with ASAP? I'll need zincs, waxing (blue hull), bottom paint (2nd year just passed), winterization, nonskid repainted, shaft inspection, maybe repair to the hardtop and gelcoat crack in front of the port windshield. I'm one of those OCD types who frets when something isn't perfect.
Maurice the Boatless
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Winter Haulout

Post by DougSea »

Last Out - First In!!

At least that's always my PLAN. Doesn't always work out that way.

If you do have a bunch of projects scheduled you should take a look at lead times, supplies, weather imapcts, etc. and get every thing lined up as soon as possible so you don't find yourself waiting on the marina to finish work in the spring when you want to be back in the water.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Come on down south where boating never ends
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

I am on Kent Island as well and I will haul out (depending on weather) the first or second week of December. That said, you need to keep an eye out for the weather forecasts and be ready to act in case of a prolonged cold blast which we sometimes get in November. In early November I will winterize the freshwater system and livewell, and if really cold the raw water wash down. I try to leave the reverse cycle heat unless its really cold, and then I will do that if needed. It is easy to do, and once it warms back up I will use it again and redo when I need to. This allows me to extend my fishing when the big boys show back up in November!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

I just saw the Oct, Nov forecast. I think I will be boating til January. This is the best time of the year, good sleeping and good fishing(I hope)
pathorm

Post by pathorm »

In Annapolis, we always haul in November, and put it back in the water the first of April. Our boatyard always pressure washes the bottom as they haul it out, and then it is up to us to remove barnacles, sand, replace zincs, paint, etc. We get it washed and waxed before it goes back into the water too. Hope this helps.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm in Deltaville and I leave my boat in all winter. I do winterize it and I'm under a covered slip but I actually go down and spend some time on it when I can.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Bluey,
Winterize everything in mid November. It's fairly straight forward. I try to be last out, mid December, and first in as well but that creates some complications. It can be tougher to get gelcoat, fiberglass and paint work done when it's cold. I shrink wrap to the rub rail so I can wash and wax the hull when we get the occasional nice winter weekend. We're thinking of moving our boat to Kent Island next spring, hope to see you on the water.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Post by glk34 »

Come on up to eastern Canada, regardless of when you come out you can be in as soon as the ice goes out the end of April. The advantage of trailerable does allow in/out when you want. Not too many boats up here so you don't end up at the back of the marina. We have lots of space for our US friends and things are cheap, did I say cheap--how bout $600 a year for a walk on slip. $130 for electricity if you need to run your AC for all 3 days. $100 for yard storage. I know you are wondering what's the catch?

Chris
Iron Jack A25
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

maybe repair to the hardtop and gelcoat crack in front of the port windshield
Is this actual damage or stress cracks? Do you have leaks? You many want to discuss with others in the maintenance forum before you pay for repairs.

Most of the other stuff you are talking about is a few weekends of work. I''ll pull mid-November this year. We get so busy in December I don't really use the boat. But, a fall cruise on the Sassafras is a yearly event.
Back in at the end of March.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Post by Bluey »

I couldn't stand watching the weather like a nervous nellie for a cold snap, so she's coming out sometime after Oct 17. Sniffle sniffle. And here I was just learning how to get her back into the slip. She'll prly be at the back of the lot, so who knows when she'll be free to romp in the water again. We were near Pittsburgh this weekend, where the temp Sunday was 46. So the frosties are comin. :(
Maurice the Boatless
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Don't forget that for a boat the water temperature is the most important. You can winterize everything but the engine and use the boat until the water is near freezing. An overnight frost will not do any damage because it takes so long to lower the water temperature and the warm water is on top.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Most years I haul out Thanksgiving weekend. My boat insurance requires the boat to be out before Dec. 1st.

This year will probably see it hauling out much earlier, maybe end of October :( Too many things in November coming up)
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Bluey. We have been using poly glo on our blue hull. Three years ago we were getting ready for a emron job and now it looks great. This year we used the poly glo on the white pilothouse ... mistake. We haul in November, sometimes in December.
Don

Return to “General Discussion”