• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 3YM20 underpowered?

Albin's "power cruisers"
carlson2025
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Valdez, AK

Yanmar 3YM20 underpowered?

Post by carlson2025 »

I am about to be a proud owner of an albin 25 in Alaska. I'm currently looking at a couple of boats to bring up to Valdez and my question, as the topic heading suggests, is the yanmar 20 underpowered? I'm sure it gets to hull speed but at what rpms? I would rather not run any motor at full throttle. After a quick price comparison, I was driven to research this question and am still unsure. Any opinions?
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Re: Yanmar 3YM20 underpowered?

Post by glk34 »

Our A25 has perkins 29hp. We need about 2900rpm to get 7kts. Rated max rpm is about 3500 which I would not want to run at due to noise level for one thing, fuel economy for another. The yanmar is great motor and may push the A25 along just fine. I would try to ask the previous owner what speed and what Rpm the boats run at. Things get a little noisey after 3000 rpm with not much increase in speed.

Chris
johnheintz
Swabby
Swabby

Re: Yanmar 3YM20 underpowered?

Post by johnheintz »

Our A25 has a Yanmar 3JH2E. It gets 7 knots at 2400 rpm and around 6 knots at 2000rpm.

john h

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”