• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flummuxed after survey

mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Flummuxed after survey

Post by mudskipper »

I am buying a 40 sundeck trawler in NJ. The first day of the survey went ok,many things were fine. The Two 200 gallon side tanks have bad bubbly rust on the seams. They must have used crappy welding rod. I can't quite live with that, so I guess I will have to go back to the owner to adjust the price if I want to proceed with the sale. It also needs two new mufflers. Has anyone recently done a ' tank ectomy ' replacement on a large albin? any guess on price? I think I still want the boat. Should I have my head examined ? Can the surveyor do this too? Sitting on the dock with scarey mary and juicy lucy.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Flummuxed after survey

Post by RobS »

As we all know, every boat is going to have problems, either now or later or both. I’d rather find a boat with correctable problems now and let that chip away at the final price then have a boat survey 100% and then the problems start coming on shortly after ownership. At least now you can replace some old with new at the seller’s cost.

Not familiar with the boat so can’t comment on the fuel tank removal and replacement. All depends on access. Is it a matter of unscrewing and removing decks or cutting up the boat….
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Tank replacement has been a recent topic, I think it was on the Classic trawlers forum, Cutting the old tanks up in the boat to remove them and installing 4 smaller tanks avoids engine removal and cuts cost. I have seen estimates up to around 20k to replace tanks with original style
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Tank replacement is a major job, but doable. I can verify the 10K per side, one of the boats I looked at 4 years ago had just had them done and that was the bill.
If you do replace tanks consider making the capacity smaller. These boats don't need 360 gallons of fuel aboard.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”