• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AD21 Mystery

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

AD21 Mystery

Post by Treeman »

I have an Albin 25 with the original AD21 engine in it. I had it apart for a new head gasket (my fault entirely) and put it all back together. I started it up and it ran like a top. No more coolant in the oil or vice-versa. There was a small coolant leak where the exhaust manifold bolted onto the engine block so I took the manifold back off and put it back on with RTV, hoping to seal it up.

The RTV needed to cure overnight so I thought I'd pull the arm off the throttle and put in an o-ring where it had been dripping a bit of oil. The o-ring installation went off without a hitch but I realized I'd rubbed off the marks that I made on the spindle and arm so I wasn't sure exactly where to reattached it. I made my best (poorly and publicly) educated guess and reassembled the thing.

In the AM I tightened the manifold down, filled the coolant and the engine WILL NOT START. It will kick with a little blast of starting fluid but after that's burned up: nada. It tried taking the throttle arm off and starting it in various positions: nada. There's definitely fuel making it to the injectors. When I had the head off the cyllinders looked in fine shape so I think it's getting plenty of compression.

Is that throttle adjustment that sensitive? Did Coolant flush back into the cylinders from the leak at the manifold? Any imaginative amateur diesel mechanics out there?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: AD21 Mystery

Post by jleonard »

There's definitely fuel making it to the injectors.
How do you know this? How do you know it is enough fuel?

I only ask because I have been there thinking enough fuel is squirting out of the injector line when it was totally inadequate.
In my case it was the fuel lift pump that failed, but air in the fuel lines would do the same but would be able to be bled out.

Use starting fluid sparingly...actually I use WD-40 when something extra is required, it works as well and is basically kerosene and won't "explode" like starting fluid does.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

[quote="jleonard...actually I use WD-40 when something extra is required, it works as well and is basically kerosene and won't "explode" like starting fluid does.[/quote]

For safety's sake I thought I would just say "Ditto on the the WD-40" .... when I read starting fluid I shivered. With the compression of the diesel if ever anything I've used WD.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

It's funny you should both say that. I've always been shy of the starting fluid but it is a bit hard starting cold and they actually recommended using it in the original AD21 manual. I'll switch to WD40!
Emelie
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Emelie »

Are you up and running yet?

We've also got an AD21 (we actually selected/bought the Albin 25 based on engine type! Love the sound!!).

I once had engine starting problems. It turned out to be polluted diesel. I saw diesel coming out from the injectors and couldn't understand why the engine wouldn't start. Sometimes it started a few seconds just to die the moment later. Then I realised the water separation filter (an old one made of glass) had something in it. When opening it it contained about 90% diesel and 10% mixture of water and a slimy black goo. I opened the fuel tank and guess what? After 2-3 hours of cleaning the interior of the tank it was as new. I recommend everyone to have a look inside their tanks each five years.

When tampering with fuel parts/pipes be sure to afterwards pump out ALL air from fuel the system (have a look in the hand book). Diesel engines are simple. Good diesel, clean filters/pipes, no air in system, compression = engine starts.

Diesel quality:
Especially nowadays (in Sweden) they add 5% environmental friendly "vegetable diesel" based on oil seed rape. The oil companies over here actually recommends you NOT TO STORE diesel more than a year... If you don't use your boat much during spring/summer/autumn, store the boat on land over winter with the tank half empty, refill it with diesel from "last year" you might end up in the same situation I did.

By the way, where do you buy your spare parts to your AD21?
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

Thank you! That really should have been the first thing that I did. The boat sat for two years before I bought it. The tank was full (to supposedly prevent condensation) and had stabilizer in it. I struggled with whether to find a safe way to dispose of it but it ran well. But the darned thing burns fuel so slowly I think it probably still has some old fuel in it. Biodiesel from used cooking oil is readily available here. I'm very interested in using it at some point.

I buy parts online from Albin Motor. They've been absolutely amazing. About one week of shipping from Sweden but excellent service, reasonable prices and they have every part you could possibly want. They're at this link: http://www.albinmotor.com/AlbinMotor/english/index.html
Treeman
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Treeman »

Just a quick update. I was about to bring the boat to our local diesel injection folks when I took jleonard and Emelie's suggestion and read the instructions on bleeding the fuel system of air. With my trusty 16 year old holding the book I went through the steps and could not make the manual lever pump any fuel. I pulled the pump, disassembled it, scrubbed it clean and found that the outgoing valve is leaking miserably. It couldn't possibly maintain fuel pressure. I've ordered a rebuilding kit from Albin.

That may not be the only problem but it's definitely one significant problem. Thanks to jleonard and Emelie for the advice!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”