• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
kerry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerry »

Hi, My wife and i have just purchased a 1986 Albin 34. We have taken a chance and bought it "as is" and not running so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Next Tuesday is the big day when the machanics arrives! I saw somewhere that not many 34's were built, any information on the boat would be great.
All the best, Kerry
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Re: New Member

Post by powerboater56 »

Congrats on your new 34! Albin did not make too many, but it is an interesting and clever design. There were several variations, from a simple open-back wheelhouse to a closed in wheelhouse to a closed in wheelhouse/salon with a fly bridge above. Which did you buy?

Good luck with the mechanics. I will keep my fingers crossed that the problem is due to a simple clogged fuel or air supply issue, not a major rebuild type issue.
John S.
Jamestown, RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Kerry,
Good luck with your purchase. Thanks for joining AOG.

Welcome!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Hello Kerry,

We too have an A 34 that we purchased last fall and spent the winter working on (the list is somewhere on this site - there is a section for A 34s under the "Classic Trawlers". Our is hull #3 and has a flybridge with deck, the salon is enclosed but the back part had canvas and isinglass. We just returned from a 25 day cruise - 30 June - 25 July that took us to Cuttyhunk, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, across Stellwagon Bank (in dense fog - 50+ nm) to Salem. We have folding bikes aboard and biked for 100+ miles (including a 30 mile round trip from Pocasset, MA to Woods Hole) on the new bike trail. We had to refubish our boat to live at anchor for days if we want - we avoid marinas if possible. we installed a 3kw Honda generator on the fly bridge - only used it 3X - quiet and efficient. Our boat was averaging 10 - 11 kts and burning 4 gal/hour - not bad running at ~2000 rpms.

Where are you located? We are in Westbrook CT. Which model do you have? We have only seen one other and that boat is for sale in Catumet MA to the Kingman Yacht Center and looks like a huge A 27 - soft top and no flybridge - her name is "Slainte". Look forward to hearing about your new boat - we LOVE ours. She handled some pretty snotty weather this trip very well and is now a DRY boat - very wet when we bought her. Good luck, Marcy
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
kerry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerry »

Thank you for all the nice wishes on our new boat. It has a flying bridge with the aft part of the deck where the lower station is cavassed in. We changed the batteries and the engine fired immediately. A leaky injector but otherwise ok.I don't know if all the 34's have the same tubo Cummins? We will change some older thru hulls and put in a new battery charger then leave Norfolk for her new home port of Southport NC. Marcy i will certainly check out your list and when you refer to your hull number where do i find that? Maybe it is in the number on the starboard side transom? Everybody in the boat yard kept telling me how "tough' a boat the Albins are and when i think about it i have seen some of the 25 foot Albins, the ones with the stern cabin, in some very odd and isolated spots from the Bahamas to the English canals. All the best to all of you, Kerry.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Welcome to AOG! Here's a link for deciphering hull id numbers: http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
There is probably an extra digit in the serial number, so if it looks like your hull number is too large, that is why.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “New Member Introductions”