• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

36' 1978 fuel tank replacement

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

36' 1978 fuel tank replacement

Post by brookesmith »

The boat I'm looking at to purchase has a leak in the port fuel tank. I understand this is not unusual with this age boat. Has anyone a ball park figure of how much it would cost to replace one tank? Should you replace both if one is leaking? Still trying to figure if I really want to buy this thing.
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 36' 1978 fuel tank replacement

Post by jcollins »

brookesmith,
What size tank? I'm guessing 4-600.00 for aluminum tanks around 150 gallons. I envy you DIY type guys. This boat sounds like it really needs some work, but in the end it could be a gem. Post some pictures.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brookesmith »

I'm guessing there are 2 175 gallon tanks. 350 gal. total. So I asked a marina that has a good yard where I used to have my 33 carver worked on what ballpark and he said his guess was ~$6,000 to replace both tanks. He said he THINKS the engine has to come out to get the tanks out. I like your $4 - 600 for aluminum tanks. I have not ben able to find any large tanks online. Do you have a tank site for me to look at?
Thanks, Brooke
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

The quick search I did that night came up with this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/150-GALL ... dZViewItem

Here's another site
http://www.rdsaluminum.com/marine-custom.html
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Most would replace both tanks. The "standard" way to replce them is to empty them and cut them up using as sawzall and take them out in pieces.
Various ways to replce. I looked at a 40 Albin that had both sides replacedwith plastic tanks. 2 at 55 gal for each side. Seperate fills.
If/when mine go I will replace with smaller than stock. Currently I have twin 180 gallon tanks. That's way too much fuel capacity. I'm thinking 80 to 100 gallons per side would be plenty of capacity and I would add a 20 gallon "day tank" and open up some additional storage.
I would probably have aluminum tanks made to my measurements. Remember that a 4x8 ft sheet is standard....over that uses more expensive raw materials.
Figure 231 cubic inches per gallon and you can do your own math.
IF making new custom tanks have them made with a bottom drain so you can periodically drain the water and yuck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brookesmith »

Thanks for the idea of smaller tanks. It seems bad to have 350 gallons and use 30 gallons on a trip. Seems that the fuel would get stale. Also 350 gallons of fuel weights (7.3lb/gal x 350 gallons= 2,555 lbs! ) So I found Moeller 58 Gal. Below Deck Fuel Tank, #032558 $269
( http://store.easternmarineoutlet.com/in ... goryID=483 )

4 of these tanks should be all ever needed. I might buy 1 tank and use it on the maiden voyage; as this boat has been on blocks for 1 1/2 years; I can imagine the engine stopping in the Baltimore channel coming down the Chesapeake Bay with the old fuel in the tanks. (I'll stay out of the major channels anyway on this maiden voyage.) Still might take a case of filters with me.
Thanks for your ideas.
Brooke
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Let me know when you are coming down the Bay near Pooles Island, Gunpowder, Middle River. We'll come out and say hello. Or, you can stop in Seneca Creek for a refreshment.
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

That's a nice find. You might decide to buy only 2. 120 gallons is a lot of fuel considering a 2 gallon per hour consumption rate. Take lots of pics during the project so we can see how it's done.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
varmont
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by varmont »

36' 1979, tri-cabin.

We replaced our tanks in 1999 as part of the purchase. There was not enough room to slide new tanks past the engine so we had to remove the engine. A big chunk of the cost was building up the bracing for the new tanks. We downsized the tanks from 350 total to 275 and still have pleny of fuel.

Make sure to watch the center of gravity (forward/ aft) because reducing weight by that much will have an impact.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I replaced the tanks in my Albin 33 a couple of years ago. In hindsight, it wasn't a hard job, nor was it really expensive. Just a learning experience.

First I cut out the old tanks in place with a sawzall. Then I made wooden boxes (luan with pine 1x1 in the corners held together with screws). They are about 50 gallons each, I used two on each side giving me 200 gallons. I made them to be removable.

I have photos of the wood patterns I made as well as the finished tanks. Let's try this:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/21 ... 2757rqwPOZ

I took the wood patterns to a shop where they made the aluminum tanks. I installed sight tubes, and have them all connected to a small fuel pump and Racor filter. I can pump it around from one tank to another.

I use the starboard tanks, pumping it from the port side to refill the starboard side. I keep the boat level this way. When the boat won't level, I need fuel. Starboard side needs about 30 more gallons than the port side to float level.

I found exactly the right person to help on this project. He gave me a lot of advise and it has all turned out to be good advise. Among my favorites is to make the tanks small enough to be removable without removing the engine, manifold them together, put in a pump system to move it around, and don't put more in your tank that you will use in a year. Diesel turns back into crude if it sits too long, which was proven to me by the inside of my old tanks.

Installing a vacuum gauge where it can be seen was another great tip. I can see the condition of my filter and change it before it fails.
caseylynn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by caseylynn »

Along the lines of fuel tanks my 36 double cabin had the tanks replaced at some point. The only information I can find about the tanks is a small paper label. Perko 328-008. The Perko company in Florida never made fuel tanks. These labels are on both port and starboard tanks. I can't find the required data plate with all the info. I'll keep looking. The tanks look to be in good condition I just took delivery of the boat last August. I might have to brush up on my math skills to compute the quantity.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I might have to brush up on my math skills to compute the quantity.
1 gallon = 231 cubic inches
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I am currently replacing the tanks in my 36 1983. I am using a plastic replacement called Tek Tank (www.tek-group.co.uk) who will make bespoke tanks for your boat. the immediate problem we found was that we have to cut up the old tanks to get them out. I am making a video of this proceedure and I will let you know when it is ready. It might be very useful.

Regards, Sebastian

Return to “36/37/40/43”