• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

49 Tri-Cabin info/insight request

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Woodsong

49 Tri-Cabin info/insight request

Post by Woodsong »

Hello all! I am new to this forum but some of you here may know me from some other popular boating forums that I am active on! :)

I have an Albin 49 tri-cabin currently under contract right now. It looks like these forums are pretty active. I am looking for any insight/info anyone might have on the 49 tri-cabin. From what I can tell there are not many that were built so not sure if there is anyone here that has one. From what I can see the research I have done they look to be well laid out and a solid boat.

Some questions:
1) I believe they are solid fiberglass from waterline down and it is not a cored hull, yes?
2) Any inherent issues with this model that I should be aware of as I begin the inspection process? It's powered by twin 120 lehmans.
3) Is it common for this model to have fiberglass fuel tanks? It's my understanding that this one does have FBG tanks instead of rusty old cast iron/steel tanks! :)
4) Any info, insight, etc. on this model would be greatly appreciated.

We're cautiously excited, pending inspection!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 49 Tri-Cabin info/insight request

Post by jcollins »

Hello Woodsong,
Boatered? I know I've seen your name around. You may well be our first active 49 owner. We had one a couple of years ago but I haven't seen him around lately. You didn't mention the year but, my guess about the fuel tanks is that a previous owner replaced them. That's a good thing.
The 49 will be a perfect mothership at our rendezvous! Where do you boat?

Welcome to Albin Owners Group,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Re: 49 Tri-Cabin info/insight request

Post by powerboater56 »

Woodsong,

Did you end up closing on the Albin 49?

I assume there were no responses to your questions about the 49 Tri-Cabin because very few were sold so no member in the group has experience with them. I know the 49 Tri-cabins were designed by George Stadel, a respected naval architect and they had an unusual saloon layout. I saw one at a boat show many years ago and thought it was a good-looking powerboat. I may have an ancient brochure for the 49 Tri cabin squirreled away in a filing cabinet -- let me know if you are interested and I'll do a little filing cabinet archeology and see if I can unearth it.

Is your boat in decent shape? I have seen a few listed for sale that looked quite deteriorated and in need of major work. The 49's were built in Taiwan, but I do not know if one of the "name" yards built them. I'm sure you are aware that building methods ranged from superb at Taiwanese yards to astonishingly slipshod in the 1970's and 1980's. And 1990's, for that matter.
John S.
Jamestown, RI

Return to “General Discussion”