• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE Fresh water leak.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

28 TE Fresh water leak.

Post by JoeH »

I just discovered a leak in my fresh water system. I have a 28TE Flush Deck, shortly after filling the fresh water tank my bilge fills up and thankfully the pump evacuates the water. However I've checked the inlet area, under the galley sink, under the head sink incl. the pump. I've also checked the water heater. Nowhere can I find water exiting the fresh water tank. Also the pump pulses continuously. Has anybody had this problem? Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Joe H
Scituate.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: 28 TE Fresh water leak.

Post by Russell »

It sounds like one of your lines is ruptured or a connection has come loose. If you turn the pump off I assume there is no leak. If so, you just need to check all the lines from the pump to each faucet and the hot water tank.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

If this happened during your spring commisioning after a winter layup the bad news is that it probably is the water heater. All the fresh water plumbing in the Albins is Pex plastic, which can usually withstand the expansion of any liquid freezing in the system. While it is possible that a fitting blew off or a hose split, the more likely point of failure is that the hot water tank was not totally emptied and the liner split. In that case you may not see water running out of it, it could be coming out the back side, running down behind the stringer where you can't see it. Easy way to find out is if there are shut-off valves to the water heater close them, fill the system and try again. No leaks ? That's the problem. Bad news? Hot water heater is big $$$. How do I know? This is exactly what happened to me last year.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I have a transom shower that leaks slowly if I leave the fresh water pump on. I noticed it when I saw a very wet area near the rudder and managed to trace it back. It caused the pump to cycle about every 10 minutes or so. If your pump is running all the time it shouldn't be that hard to trace the leak.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Same here, noticed my pump running on and off while sleeping at night, fresh water in the bildge, yep it was the transom shower head whick must have cracked over the winter leaving a fine mist spray when left on. Solved
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
SeaJAlbin28
Mate
Mate

Post by SeaJAlbin28 »

Had a similar problem last year-----found a leak where the water line exits the hot water heater------but only when the hot water heater was turned on! I guess the heat caused just enough expansion to allow a leak while under pressure. Does not leak otherwise---this is on my to-do list the next time that deck plate comes up.
Chris and Judy,
aboard SeaJ, an Albin 28 TE
george_h
Swabby
Swabby

Post by george_h »

I had a Pex connection come loose this spring. Sprayed water all over the water heater, so it was easy to find. Just had to re-seat it, so it was probably never snug to begin with. You might want to check the lines running to the swim shower, too.
"Miss Darcy"
28 TE Flush Deck 2004
Portsmouth, RI
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

Thanks to all that weighed in on my "fresh water leak". I finally found the problem yesterday. I knew the leak occured only when the water pump was on and the system was under pressure. Yesterday I hooked the dock hose direct to the water system and was able to actually hear the leak. Sure enough it was the transom shower. Apparently the plastic hose to the shower assembly was partially loose causing the problem.

Again thanks to all for your input.

Also I finally had my "belt problem" fixed which I've had for the last couple of years if you recall from an earlier post of mine. A new mechanic found my water pump belt wearing against the alternator belt causing friction which apparently over time caused the water pump belt to break. This happened on my Volvo KAMD 300.

Again thanks to you all for your inputs.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Joe H

Scituate, MA

If you're ever in the Scituate area pls look me up. It's one of the prettiest harbor's on the East Coast

Return to “Albin Maintenance”