• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Insurance coverage

Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Insurance coverage

Post by Jeremy »

Hi guys. I've been shopping 36 classics for about 3 years. I have a 1981 in my sights now, and I'm looking into insurance. What coverage do you suggest I carry, and does anyone have any recommendations for insurers? Thanks. :)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Insurance coverage

Post by jleonard »

That's a tough one. A lot depends on your specific situation, where you boat, etc.
I have not found a better deal than BOAT US. That includes a Power Squadron discount.
I boat in L I Sound.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jeremy »

John: Thanks for the reply. I'm in Long Island, on the north shore. Here's what Boat Us quoted, based upon 300,000 liability coverage:
SUMMARY OF COVERAGES
Boat and Boating Equipment (Agreed Hull Value) : $55,000.00
Boat and Boating Equipment Deductible : $720.00
Boating Liability : $300,000.00
Fuel and Other Spill Liability : $800,000.00
Medical Payments : $1,000.00
Boat Trailer : $.00
Trailer Deductible : $.00
Personal Effects : $.00
Personal Effects Deductible : $.00
Uninsured Boater Protection-Limit each Accident : $300,000.00
Commercial Towing Assistance - Each incident/Annual limit : $250/500

TOTAL ANNUAL PREMIUM : $948.00

I guess the question is: do I have enough coverage, not enough, or too much. I don't know what's typical, if there exists an average, or generally accepted coverage amount.
Thanks again.
Engineer6
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Formerly Windmill Harbor, SC

Post by Engineer6 »

Other one to try is National Marine Underwriters, Inc. 1-800 BOAT INS based in Annapolis, MD. Easy to customize to your situation.
Your coverages seem reasonable on the details you provided.
Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jeremy »

Thanks. I'll give them a call.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

ACE MARINE INSURANCE.. I pay 750 a year and i keep mine in year round in the ice. check them out
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

For me ACE was almost idendical to BOAT US except they did not give a power squadron discount.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jakevr wrote:ACE MARINE INSURANCE.. I pay 750 a year and i keep mine in year round in the ice. check them out
Same for me. About the same price. One claim, no issues. Not a fan of BoatUS insurance.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Not a fan of BoatUS insurance
Why? What was your bad experience?

My bad experience with ACE was that I had great difficulty in getting a definate price quote out of them. I had to talk with an agent, but the agent had to discuss with (I forget the actual title) so I had great difficulty getting exactly what I wanted for coverage. I finally gave up and actually contracted with BOAT US weeks before I finally got my quote out of ACE.
That was in spite of having a friend as a regional manager of ACE (unfortuneatly the wrong region for where I am located).

I've also never had a claim other than a couple of towing incidents.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

How is Boat US for coverage? Our 36 was insured with them pretty much forever with her prior owner. We moved it to our local carrier who we have used for all the other boats (but never a claim) and insurances, but think that a true marine carrier should have this one. This is a long term commitment and I'd prefer to have no bad surprises with the coverage.

Any input?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Why? What was your bad experience?
Short Story - I had a 69 Glastron insured with them. (Sharon's boat) It sank at the pier. We raised the boat and saved the outboard but electrical was shot. I filed a claim and they deducted 10% per year, for every year over 10 years. Obviously this exceeded the value of the boat and it was totaled. This was my fault. I should have read the policy when I purchased a 30 year old boat. All I did was call them up and add it to my existing policy. But, I felt someone should have mentioned that to me. The only thing I could do was "go away mad". So, I promptly called Progressive and switched. Progressive had good rates, good service, and didn't have that type of limitation. When I purchased the Albin, Progressive couldn't offer a competitive rate. That's why I switched to ACE. My agent is Hartge Insurance on the eastern shore. Very informative and nice folks to deal with.

Highly reccommend Hartge Insurance.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Jeremy wrote:John: Thanks for the reply. I'm in Long Island, on the north shore. Here's what Boat Us quoted, based upon 300,000 liability coverage:
SUMMARY OF COVERAGES
Boat and Boating Equipment (Agreed Hull Value) : $55,000.00
Boat and Boating Equipment Deductible : $720.00
Boating Liability : $300,000.00
Fuel and Other Spill Liability : $800,000.00
Medical Payments : $1,000.00
Boat Trailer : $.00
Trailer Deductible : $.00
Personal Effects : $.00
Personal Effects Deductible : $.00
Uninsured Boater Protection-Limit each Accident : $300,000.00
Commercial Towing Assistance - Each incident/Annual limit : $250/500

TOTAL ANNUAL PREMIUM : $948.00

I guess the question is: do I have enough coverage, not enough, or too much. I don't know what's typical, if there exists an average, or generally accepted coverage amount.
Thanks again.
That looks a lot like my Boat US policy for my 33. Agreed value, 48,000. Total Annual Premium, $381.00 Southern California.

Return to “36/37/40/43”