• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hatch Vent

joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Hatch Vent

Post by joe.baar »

An afternoon's work to install. This is the Nicro "Day/Night Plus" stainless 3" version West Marine had on sale this past winter. Note to all: use the 4" version instead, you really do need the CFM volume. I fabricated 2 StarBoard donuts, one above and one below, to help flatten the slightly dished hatch top and provide more sealant surface, as well as opening depth to accommodate the damper properly. Aside from the unit itself, the Lenox 3.75" hole saw and arbor was a major expense and difficult to source; I also found plastic-cutting bits with 90-degree tips were a big help for the smaller, oversized screw holes, no cracks so far. All hole edges (and some chips) are relieved by filing, countersinking and sanding as necessary. I used bicycle inner-tube rubber as washers on 9 truss-head tap screws, driven from below and spaced equally, an inch inside the perimeter of the upper donut to spread the load. More photos will follow in 2 weeks, showing excess sealant cleaned off I hope. Sealant is BoatLife Marine Silicone Rubber which is compatible with acrylic since it lacks the polysulfide used in their "Life Caulk". Now I need to cut a hole in the Sunbrella cover to fit. :(
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”