• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Leaking

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Huntress

Oil Leaking

Post by Huntress »

When I open my engine box I notice there is a decent amount of oil in my bildge. It is not a lot and I can not see it leaking anywhere. It is enough to make it black through the bildge. My questions. Where could this be coming from and is it normal to have a little oil down there? My dip stick says I am full and in good shape. I have no other problems (knock on wood). Any thoughts?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Oil Leaking

Post by RobS »

Huntress wrote:When I open my engine box?
Just to be clear: You have an engine box 28? What engine?
Huntress wrote:....It is enough to make it black through the bildge. My questions. Where could this be coming from and is it normal to have a little oil down there? My dip stick says I am full and in good shape. I have no other problems (knock on wood). Any thoughts?
Black? So if it is black it seems it would be engine oil, not hydraulic steering fluid or thruster gear oil as both are a light yellow, almost colorless. Tranny fluid is red.
It is not normal to have oil in the bilge, not even a small amount.

You should go over the engine with a fine tooth comb. Start with it cold with a mirror and flashlight and start from the bottom up looking at the underside of the oil pan, dipstick tube connection. Then just work your way up to the oil cooler lines, oil filter, oil sender, valve cover gasket, etc. If it's cold you can really get up close and personal with it and check it over thoroughly. If nothing found then you should run it for awhile and check then it again right after shut down. Do you have a remote oil change setup that could be leaking?

With the high oil capacity on these diesels it takes a bit to move the level on the dipstick. I think the 6LP has a 3 plus quart swing between ADD and FULL. And it does not take much oil to make a mess of the bilge.

Good luck
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Huntress

Post by Huntress »

Sorry, It is a Yanmar 315 Turbo (2001).
Huntress

Post by Huntress »

Thanks Rob S. Yes it is indeed black. I will do a run through and see what I find. Thanks again!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”