• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Moisture in the hull core. Need advise

ScottK

Moisture in the hull core. Need advise

Post by ScottK »

Hello, I am new to the site and am looking to buy a 28te. I have found a 95 convertible w/ the peninsular that is in nice shape. My surveyor found high moisture readings on the starboard side of the boat in the general area of the thru hulls. The soundings were fine though. We are going to take some core samples to determine the condition of the balsa core. I was told that if the core samples come back looking white, solid and bonded to the glass that I should not have to worry so much about the moisture if we re-bed all of the thru hulls properly. Has anyone had any experience w/ moisture in the hull core? What happens w/ what moisture is there if the thru hulls are rebeded and everything is sealed up? Thanks for any help!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Moisture in the hull core. Need advise

Post by jcollins »

Hi Scott,
Welcome to AOG. I have the sistership to yours. I <think> there were two convertibles built that year. Mine is black and orginally from Lake Champlain. Did you get any moisture readings around the exhaust port and swim platform? That's where mine showed up. Others have mentioned that as well.
Ask the owner if he installed the clum relay/glow plug timer upgrade. If not, you will have starting issues when hot. The new relay is 90.00 from Peninsular.

Where do you boat?

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. It does not seem like very many convertibles were built. The one I am looking at is blue, and was originally from Maine. I boat in Marblehead, MA. There were some elevated moisture readings in the transom as well.. around a thru hull and the swim platform mounts. What did you do about the moisture on your boat? Not sure about the glow plug upgrade. I'll find out. Thanks for the tip. Scott
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Would be curious to see how close the hull numbers are. John, do you expect them to be back to back?

It is the 6th, 7th & 8th digits of the VIN
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Scott - Tamerlane? The hull looks to be in good shape. I was told by Albin, before they closed, there were 13 convertibles produced through 2006. "Froggy" is a member here and has one. My surveyor told me the moisture readings were not high enough to worry about. That was in Dec., 2005. I checked again last year. No significant increase. I'm probably wrong about the sistership thing. Someone here told me my sistership was black. There is another one in Fl. for sale as well.

Rob - Based on my HIN I have hull #202.

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Hi John, yes Tamerlane is the boat. It is in nice shape. Lightly used. Awlgripped a while ago. I do like the convertible style. I'll know tomorrow on the moisture. The surveyor is doing some core samples. I'm concerned that w/ any moisture at all in there, that even if we seal up the hull properly by re-bedding the hull penetrations, that in the wintertime when it is freezing will I run the risk of de-lamination of the core from the glass? Also, w/ any moisture at all, can't it begin to rot? Anyone out there w/ experience w/ moisture in the hull? Thanks
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:..Rob - Based on my HIN I have hull #202.

John
John, Albin started the hull numbering with number 101, so you actually have the 101st first boat..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

Just heard from the surveyor. They took multiple core samples in the general area of the thru hulls and transom where the moisture readings were high. They were surprised to find that core material was plywood not balsa? The boat is a 95 28TE convertible. Anyone hear of plywood cores on these hulls? The core was damp but still well bonded to the glass. Surveyor thought it has been like this for a good while. Boat has been out of the water for over a year... Any advise? Steer clear of the boat? Get all hull penetrations re-bedded/ sealed up and move forward? Thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I would steer clear. There is ALWAYS more affected area than you think.
And think forward to re-sale....if you don't fix it right you will be going thru the same scenario with a new buyer.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

thanks. We decided to walk away. will keep looking though

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”