• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 cockpit Bench Seats?

fiti huahine
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Santa Barbara

28 cockpit Bench Seats?

Post by fiti huahine »

Has anyone done a conversion to make the cockpit more useable for seating? I don't have a flush deck so it is more difficult but there should be a way to install a collapsable bench seat - see ex. http://www.albinmarine.com/28tournament ... t7488L.jpg

Anyone have an idea on who makes this type seat for Albin?

The cockpit and beam is huge but the space is not completely efficient for hanging out and cruising lifestyle. Anyone install a drop leaf table in the cockpit similar to what you would see in a cruising sailboat?

Any pics or names on who created that bench seat would be appreciated!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 28 cockpit Bench Seats?

Post by jcollins »

Comments I have read about those bench seats have been mixed. At speed you will find it to be a wet ride. I don't think you would have much leg room with the engine box.
I have the engine box model and use two chairs and a small cooler in the middle. It doubles as a small table. When we put out dinner I remove the engine box cushion and it makes a great table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
fiti huahine
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fiti huahine »

I was thinking about something like this. I agree, not the place to hang when it is rough but great at anchor.

Anyone set up a cockpit table similar to a cruising sailboat that would fold out?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I like the look of that. Still don't know about the leg room but it gives me a good idea for the engine cover. I'm wondering about that Tek Dek stuff.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

Here is a seat I made for my 28's engine box. It seats 4 people nicely and is quite dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Nice engine box seeat, best i've seen yet..I have the fold down bench seat on the transom, seats 2 or 3, nice addition that folds out of way but after seeing the price (around $1500) I dont think I would have purchased it. Sorry no pic
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i have the fold down bench on my 28, gets use at dock and anchor. usually i have a large cooler there which is a great seat also.
i would not have purchased it as an option, cooler and cushion easier and cheaper. imho
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Post by maineman »

To Fiti Huahini:

I made a mahogany bench seat which mounts to the transom of my 1996 28TE. It works well - sized for four standard flotation cushions - and is more efficient than the two folding aluminum chairs I used to use. I probably won't finish Spring recommissioning until late May, but I'll send you a photo as soon as it's in place for the season. It was pretty easy to make and I enjoyed the project.
I also recently bought a Garelick Side Gunwale Utility Seat at West Marine (West Marine part # 406793) which will mount to the sidewall of the cockpit just aft of the helm chair. It will add one more chair for picnic convenience and can be easily lifted off, folded and stored when not needed. We tend to use the top of the engine box as a table, so any extra seating helps. I'll send you photo's of this installation when it's complete as well.

Tom McCandless
1996 28TE "KTQ"
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
fiti huahine
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fiti huahine »

That is great. Thanks. I am interested to see how you attached it to the transom. Did you use stainless and attach a wood/cushion to it?

I really like your bimini top. I am designing something less permanant and will stow away using two stainless poles at transome and attaching canvas to that back to the cabin. It won't have the nice bow you have with your bimini top but it will do the job and easy to stow away.
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Post by maineman »

For fiti huahini:

As promised, here are some photo's of the mahogany bench I built for the transom of my '96 28TE. The first shows the mahogany "cleat" I glued and screwed to the transom to accept the back of the bench. It's bevelled - like a kitchen cabinet hanger - and the back of the bench is angled to fit snugly into the bevel - like two triangles making a square. The second shows the "grid" design of the bench - keeps water from pooling. Third is a photo of the bench with the cushions in place - 4 standard Stearns flotation cushions - the strap handles feed through the slats and snap together under the seat. Cushions keep my guests from getting "grill marks" on their butts!
The last two photo's are of the Garelick gunwale chair from West Marine which I got to add a seat in the cockpit. The brackets are mounted to the back of the companion chair cabinet. It's simple to snap the chair in and out of the brackets and it stows out of the way below until needed. Easy install and a good solution.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your own boat. Happy motoring!

Tom McCandless - "maineman"
KTQ
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”