• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

looking for some good advice

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

greg

looking for some good advice

Post by greg »

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a 1978 43' Albin. Engines rebuilt in 2000, 600hrs, completely redone in 2009 top to bottom Awl-grip, including removing teak decks. Interior needs plenty of work. What are some inherent problems, or concerns with this model/year vessel? What question should I ask seller? Any advise would greatly be appreciated! Thanks
Boatmon

Re: looking for some good advice

Post by Boatmon »

Do your homework, see what's availble and what it's selling for and how long it's been for sale. There is only a finite number of these out there but don't jump the gun or get too excited. Know what you are buying, and walk away if you're not comfortable, we looked for a year.

I would HIGHLY recommend paying for a full survey that includes sea trials. There are just too many things that can go undetected to the new comer. The owner will tell and show what is great about the vessel. The surveyor will show you everything that is not great about it. The reality lies somewhere in the middle. But a full survey will tell you exactly what you’ve got. A 30 year old boat will have projects and maintenance, it’s deciding if you are ok with them and willing to give her what she needs. There are not a lot of people that would look at ours when we bought it and say “we’ll take it” There was and is a lot to be done. We figured a three winter restoration to bring her to the condition that we can live with.

We spent all winter restoring and improving inside and out on our 36, the first rain we discovered leaks that we thought were dealt with. Ours turned out to be the decks, the teak is still on.

Trawler windows leak… unless they have been replaced they will most likely leak. We replaced nine this past winter and plan to do the rest next fall. Check the core in the walls and deck for moisture, we looked at a Marine trader that had the teak removed and was re-glassed and non-skid installed, without allowing the core to dry out.

That's my 25 cents worth
05-12-10_1718.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
greg

Post by greg »

Thank you for your sound advice. I am familiar with window leaking problems on old trawlers. She has been on the dry for about 1 year, having the hull and upper awl-gripped. WIndows have been replaced and glassed around. In fact, aft cabin windows have been removed and glassed over. A moisture meter on the top side is a very good idea. The seller was refurbishing it for themselves and are parting ways before completion leaving the interior work which shows evidence of previous water problems. It has been on the market for a few months. I believe that we can buy it in the 60'sK range. A full survey is in order. I am looking for any inheritant problems that are known to this particular boat, electrically , mechanically, as well.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

I forgot to say earlier; contact Bob at American diesel with any questions regarding the Lehman (and Westerbeke generator?)

I would also see if you can get a hold of Jim on Blue Angel, they cruise full time aboard an A-40 and have provided great in-sight for us as we restore The Lass, and I'm sure would do the same for you.
Last edited by Boatmon on Sat May 22, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Well you know about window leaks that's a big start. Clean the tracks to the sliding windows and make sure they have a drain hole that actually drains outside the boat. Been there, done that.
Also you might want to change out ALL the thru hulls and seacocks. I've done all mine. There are also probably several you can eliminate. I removed all mine dealing with overboard pump out and salt water intake for the heads. The holes are glassed up.
I found that minwax satin polyurethane is an exact match for the interior. And "some" of the water stains on the wood will come out with mayonaise.
Happy hunting
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks again for your input and contacts, they will come in handy. I just came from looking her over with my wife, she loves it! We will keep researching and keep you posted on the statis...oh yah, your assumption was correct, she is equipted with a Westerbeke. The engines look like new! Both Bob at Lehman, and Jim's contact would come in handy.

Return to “General Discussion”