• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

pulled the engine

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

pulled the engine

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

I pulled the engine yesterday to get ready for the motor mounts and found a very large crack in the fiberglass that covers the wooden stringer that the motor is mounted on. Not very happy.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pulled the engine

Post by leprof31 »

I red somewhere about this problem... the Volvo Penta is a bit too heavy for the fiberglass engine bed, a crack appears sometime. I think there is no matter with this crack, but a fix needs to be done.
leprof31
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pulled the engine

Post by leprof31 »

There is the text from Marineengine forum:
Ricardo,
We have repowered the Albin 25 with both the BV1305 35HP and the BV1005 28HP with great success. The 35HP will give you 10 Knots with about an 8 Knot cruise and the 28HP will give 9 Knots with about a 7 Knot cruise.

There are no real big issues with the repower, but check the engine bed/stringers where the front engine mounts of the Volvo were. The area will probably be compromised due to the weight of the Volvo engine and lack of stength in this area. You may have to do a bit of glass work to repair this before installing any new engine. The Volvo, with transmission weighs in at 640 lbs, the Beta Marine BV1305 weighs in at 375 lbs and the BV1005 at 330 lbs, both including transmissions.

Either engine will be a good choice for this boat both the Beta Marine 3 and 4 cylinder engines will be much smoother and quieter than the Volvo and far more economical plus both are physically smaller. This information can be confirmed at Beta Marine's website http:/ZZZZZZbetamarinenc.com or if ou wish to contact me in the office, I can expand on this information and give you pricing.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”