• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

the albin 40 north sea cutter is manufactured in china.?good

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

i112151

the albin 40 north sea cutter is manufactured in china.?good

Post by i112151 »

should i be worried about this? :? should i be pleased? :?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Most of the new boats coming out of the far east are extremely high quality (Selene, for example). Albin builds a good quality boat, and I dont think they'd let that standard slide in an offshore factory. The labor over there is simply cheap, but it's not unskilled, and the QC guys are rarely locals.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
I agree with you but, I have heard some bad stories about the Albin 40. I'm sure others here will chime in so I'll take a back seat to this discussion. (chicken...yeah I know)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
i112151

Post by i112151 »

i am concerned because i have not been able to find out whether albin has built their own factory to u.s. standards or whether they are simply subcontracting with a chinese company. fleming, for example, builds a first class yacht in their own factory with careful quality control. i wish additional info were available re: the albin operation in china. the initial anecdotal reports are not reassuring. i would like to hear additional experiences before arriving at a final decision. perhaps i should just go for a saberline? :roll:
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I still believe that since this boat has some bad press that you may want to consider buying one a year or two old. The previous owner will have, hopefully, worked out all the warranty problems.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
stevefrankel

Re: the albin 40 north sea cutter is manufactured in china.?

Post by stevefrankel »

i112151 wrote:should i be worried about this? :? should i be pleased? :?
I wouldn't worry about it. I have Hull #11 and they did nearly everything right. Please see my post in the NSC section of this board for details. The finish and paint were beautiful; the only short cuts were no pre-wiring for TVs connected to an antenna on the bridge andcheap doorlock sets on the sliding doors that can't be replaced here; helm chairs on the upper station that are comfortable but no of the quality of the rest of the boat; no table on the upper help station; and tables down below that aren't up to the quality of the woodwork and cabinetry. If you're buying a new one, you should be able to have all these problems resolved for a few thousand or for "free" if the dealer is hungry.

This is the second mainland China vessel I've bought new, and both have been of excellant quality. Frankly, the work is better than that of the 2 Taiwanese vessels I've owned, and MUCH better than the 4 American-built vessels I've owned, 3 of which I bought new.

Return to “General Discussion”