• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I turned that cabinet around

Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

I turned that cabinet around

Post by Despacio »

Goes against my principles to alter anything from original, but I couldn't stand it the way it was. Had to patch the overhead where the cabinet was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
lmustico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I turned that cabinet around

Post by lmustico »

Great idea! Did you add the microwave too? Our 33 has that same cabinet, but nothing underneath.
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Post by Daryl »

On my 33 I believe the cabinet structure adds support to the roof which needs all the help it can get after 30 years :mrgreen:
lmustico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lmustico »

Our flybridge or roof seems pretty solid. It better, since that is where we spend most of our time when underway or at anchor.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

That cabinet does NOT add support. It's mounted below an un-supported headliner.

I did add the bottom part of the cabinet, as well as the one side that used to be against the wall. The microwave is a Goldstar "Little Cooker" model ER 3010. It's by far the smallest microwave I've found. It's only 8 inches tall. A full size dinner plate fits nicely and I have yet to wish it were larger. I can't understand why anyone would want a larger microwave.

I'm scared it will break some day, as I can't find another one, not even on the Goldstar web site. If anyone knows where any are available I'd gladly buy another one. This one came with the boat, but wasn't mounted.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Despacio wrote:That cabinet does NOT add support. It's mounted below an un-supported headliner.

I did add the bottom part of the cabinet, as well as the one side that used to be against the wall. The microwave is a Goldstar "Little Cooker" model ER 3010. It's by far the smallest microwave I've found. It's only 8 inches tall. A full size dinner plate fits nicely and I have yet to wish it were larger. I can't understand why anyone would want a larger microwave.

I'm scared it will break some day, as I can't find another one, not even on the Goldstar web site. If anyone knows where any are available I'd gladly buy another one. This one came with the boat, but wasn't mounted.

Here you go...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh/1606960896.html
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
lmustico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lmustico »

We have a microwave mounted below the stove. Guess there was an oven there at one time. It came with the boat as well. We don't use it that often. My wife prefers to cook on an electric skillet. We don't use the propane stove either. Don't have any propane onboard.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

lmustico wrote:We have a microwave mounted below the stove. Guess there was an oven there at one time. It came with the boat as well. We don't use it that often. My wife prefers to cook on an electric skillet. We don't use the propane stove either. Don't have any propane onboard.
I use my stove and oven all the time. I'd never make coffee in a coffee maker when I could use the stove. At anchor the stove is the only way to go, energy wise.

I looked at a Meridian 40 that didn't have a real galley, just a small sink, one electric cook top burner, and a small refrig. The salesman said no one actually uses their galley, they go out to eat.

Sometimes I make a lasagna or pizza to heat up the cabin in the winter. Smells great, too.

I feel badly for those who go out to eat.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

I totally agree with your feeling on the folks who always have to dinghy in to dinner somewhere.....
Nothing like a great meal aboard while at anchor, some coctails, friends and a sunset and it's pretty much the perfect evening!! Then there's the smell of fresh percalator coffee filling the whole cabin in the morning!!
Even with everything to be done yet, we can't wait til our May 10 launch (chickened out and moved it back a week)
Hope Boiler #2 June2009 006.jpg
I do realize that's not a percalator, it's the winter restoation coffee maker (came with the boat)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

Looks like you are having some winter fun. Your galley looks huge compared to mine. Fortunately I don't have to deal with winter issues like launch dates.

I dumped the coffee maker and went for a French press. I like the coffee better, and I like using the tea kettle, as I can use the hot water for other things like oatmeal.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

oooohhhh that's a great idea!! We have a big old stainless camping type perc that we love, but I don't think the kids would care for coffee flavored oatmeal........hey wait that could be pretty good!

Yes lots of winter "fun" it's a pretty major project to get closed up and presentable by May, but the plan when we comitted to her was to do everything that we could the first winter, enjoy and relax all summer, and start again in the fall at a more relaxed pace than this winter has been. We figured a 3 winter restoration to get her back to where she should be.

And yes, the galley is big, the boat is huge! we came from five years on a Seaward 25 sailboat. We decided two years ago that this is what we wanted, just had to find the right one....
Picture 050.jpg
We are maknig really good progress, and there is much that can start going back together about anytime. need to finish milling the new exterior trim, prefinish and install. Also the interior trim is about ready to go back in.
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
The Lass restoration 196 (40).jpg
I hope to get some fresh photos this weekend, I don't mean to keep posting the same ones over and over
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

jcollins wrote:
Despacio wrote:That cabinet does NOT add support. It's mounted below an un-supported headliner.

Here you go...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh/1606960896.html
You don't know how much I wish I had bought that one. I need one that size or smaller. Please someone help me find one. Nothing else fits my cabinet.

It's pretty amazing how big these things are. One that bills itself as being the smallest is 12 inches tall, and has the controls on the top, so you need more room than that. It has a handle, like someone would actually carry their microwave around.

Help me find a Gold Star "Little Cooker" ER 3010, please!

Thanks

Return to “36/37/40/43”