• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Bow thruster replacement

Post by maineman »

Me again. Sorry. I keep thinking of questions I've always wanted to ask if I got the opportunity to talk with seasoned Albin owners.
Anyone ever replaced the Vetus bow thruster on a 28TE? Mine is beginning to show its age and I honestly think this model is too small for the length and weight of the vessel. This Spring, I plan to remove the motor unit and have it overhauled by a local shop known for repairing electric motors, but I've been wondering about up-grading to a more powerful model - 50Kpf as opposed to the 23Kpf that's in it now. Is it a huge job requiring replacement of the "tunnel" as well as the motor unit? If it's absurdly expensive or massively complicated, I'll just live with it until it dies completely and I'm forced to do something, but I'd like to have some idea of what's involved. Any thoughts will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Tom McCandless
28TE "KTQ"
Georgetown Island, ME
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Bow thruster replacement

Post by Russell »

Changing to the 50 KPf would be a major job and not worth it in my opinion. Once you learn to use prop walk to maneuver the boat around the docks you will hardly ever use the thruster. Also make sure your batteries are well charged and in good shape before you overhaul the thruster motor. Bad batteries affect the bow thruster performance and can cause it to be damaged.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Along with the batteries, you might want to check all of the connections and clean them up. Start at the batteries and work your way to the motor. I have read here where someone was having problems and by cleaning the connections the problem was fixed.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have the same thruster you have a 23 KGF. It is way underpowered for the boat for sure. I priced a new unit with the enlarged tunnel, it was just around $7,000. I quickly crossed that off my list. I did think about putting a gel battery right up where the thruster motor is and just running a charger wire to it to keep it charged up. Depending on the docking situation, wind, water flow and location of boats sometimes you really need it, sometimes you don't. Good luck!
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
maineman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Georgetown Island, Maine

Post by maineman »

Thanks, all. I basically reached the same conclusion(s) on my own. It certainly ain't worth 7 large! I'll carry out all the maintenance suggestions and work at improving my skills at single-screw docking. The local lobstermen love to tease me about having "training wheels"!

tommccandless
28TE "KTQ"
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!"
Joncat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Old Saybrook CT

Post by Joncat »

I have the same thruster also, upgraded to GRP 31 Optima batteries and had a smaller pulley installed on the alternator for more output at idle. Much more power from the thruster and always stay above 12v on the gauge.

John Mac
28TE "Joncat"
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

I recently replaced my thruster on my A32 Sportfish and it did not cost more than around $1,800. You need to call the folks at Vetus and discuss it with them. You DO NOT need to replace the tunnel. Vetus sells a more powerful replacement motor complete with mounting bracket and lower propeller unit that will mount right into your existing tunnel. The entire project took less than an hour from the moment I removed the old unit. Very simple job. The only complication that I had was the prop they shipped with the new unit was 3 mm too large for my tunnel and I had to file off a small amount of the edge of the plastic blade in order to make for a perfect fit. I think this was due to the fact that my tunnel had been bottom painted with several layers causing the interior diameter of the tunnel to be smaller than it was originally.
Seaslug44
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Seaslug44 »

Oh yeah- I forgot to mention that when I did the job I also I installed a dedicated battery with its own small charger up in the bow next to the thruster. The increase in power output with the new battery location combined with the extra power of the new Vetus motor is INSANE.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”