• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

To Prop..or Not

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

To Prop..or Not

Post by jcollins »

Anyone around here that know me, also knows, I started this place to learn. I am not a DIY kind of guy nor do I want to be. It's much easier to "ask the experts" and do what others have done.
I sent my prop out to be tuned, cleaned, etc. It came back with several (4-6) pits. The pits I'm talking about are the size of a banacle and seem to be eating through the prop. I'm assuming this is normal wear for something this old. It's the original prop dated 06/94. 18x18 3 blade Nibral. My engine is the Peninsular 6.2 with a Hurth 1:56 to 1.
This morning I searched through the group and found the following list of prop sizes for the TE 28.

18x18 - 3blade (pen)
18x17 - 3blade (pen)
19x19 - 3blade (pen)
19x19 - 4blade (yan)
19x18 - 4blade (yan)
19x20 - ?
18x26 - 4blade (pen)
19x26 - 4blade (pen)

Comments about the 4 blade seem to indicate better reverse/close handling? H&H seems to be the recommended dealer for purchase.
If I had a extra 10 grand and a couple of months I would buy one of each and begin testing. Since I don't have the time or the 10 grand how about some suggestions?

I probably wont' do anything this season since I don't want to delay next week's launch.

Thanks,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: To Prop..or Not

Post by Russell »

Changing out props can get very expensive. I would use a local propeller shop if you have one around. Those guys know a lot about props and how to size them. They may have a used one or some special pricing. If you purchase from out of town and have to send it back and forth a few times it will cost money and take a lot of time. If you were able to get your rated RPM at WOT with maybe 100 extra RPM you are probably propped right and should stay with that configuration. If not, let the prop guy know what you were getting and he can recommend something better.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: To Prop..or Not

Post by jcollins »

Update: Spoke with the local prop guy. The pitting I am talking about is considered, by him, to be normal wear and tear over the years. He explains it as latent defects in the original casting. Won't hurt anything. It just looks bad. His suggestion is to not mess with something that is perfoming correctly. This echoes what Russell said above. So, I'll wait until next year...or the year after that. The soda blasting was number 1 this year. Waxing today and tomorrow, launch on Friday. Forecast says 80 degrees. Finally!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”