• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking To Buy and questions

lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking To Buy and questions

Post by lpbp »

New Question ! What is the cost of of having a boat shipped . If we are successful in our bid , I was wondering the cost to ship to the New York - Ontario Boarder at Buffalo From the Maryland area .Does any body have any prices that they have experienced . eg per mile or by the job etc. Names of haulers , Wide load costs . It just goes on and on with questions on this topic .
And to Ric --------NNNNNice ONE .
THX LPBP
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Follow the "Southern Venture" posts. He recently used a shipper to haul his 28 down to Florida & seemed very happy with him.. Best of luck & happy Hoildays :)
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Nowhere Special
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Catawba Island, Lake Erie

Post by Nowhere Special »

We bought our Albin 28 earlier this year and shipped it from Annapolis to Sandusky, OH for $1600.00.
Our transporter was from Ohio and we were fortunate to catch him on a Dead Head trip from Baltimore.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Dave
1999 28TE Aba Daba
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Shippers seem to start with a loading fee then so much a mile. The problem is that there's not a lot of transparency in the pricing process. If they quote you $2500 for the move and the deadhead back, then pick up another job that occupies 3/4 of the dead leg, they don't send you a rebate check for the balance if you get my drift. I paid $3600 to move my 28TE from RI to Port St Lucie area in FL a distance of 1,344 mi according to google maps. It wasn't the lowest price, but they came highly recommended. Let me put it another way. The guy that shipped my boat keeps his boat right across from me here in FL and it's a custom fitted 32' Duffy with every friggin' bell and whistle I've ever seen on a fish boat. He must do OK.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Thx Guys. New Question self trailering . How do these girls haul. We own a 2500 4by 4 Chev with the 6 liter engine . Total towing weight with trailer is 10500 lbs . by the manual We use it to haul the wifes 5 th wheel horse trailer which ways in at 8800 lbs with 2 horses in it , So hauling a 28 , do they come in at 7500 to 8000lbs or more . Because with a good trailer ,I could ge looking at 2000 lbs right there . So I could be right on the line for towing . And I do not want to be a Canadian getting caught in the US overloaded . I have already heard some of these horror storys .. $$$$$$$. So the long and the short of it , Albin deadweight is ?????????? I have the winter off so I was looking at doing it my self , to not only save money but also a adventure. Adventures are good for us old guys and for the heart.
Just Like Rick , sounds like his heart rate was up just a tad
THX Again LPBP
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

There's a pretty big range in what these boats can weigh. Fuel alone (140 Gal at 7.5 #/Gal) is over a thousand pounds. Another 40 Gals of water, 320 #. When my boat got here to FL they lifted it off the trailer with the travel lift and they said it registered 6500# which seemed light to me. Only one way to know for sure... weigh it. The larger issue is that at 10' wide it is a "wide load" in many states. 8'6" is normal size, no permit needed (ever wonder why so many boats are 8'6" beam?) Ten foot beam requires stickers and permits in many states. NC is famous for pulling over snowbirds with the boat in tow and extracting big fines for over wide, not over weight. If you can tow the horses and are used to it, the Albin should be OK. The larger question is the various juristrictions you will be traveling through and their laws.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Thx Ric Yea I had the fuel and water thing into the plan of weight . Water I thought would be out for the winter . But fuel is the other ,because I know up here we like to leave the tanks full for the winter ,with additive so then you have less chance of condensation in the fuel tanks come spring . Wide load permits are the must for over 8 ft 6in . I think around $ 60 /state. and wide load signs front and back for under 11 ft 6 in . Also it is daylight navigation only ,no night driving. And I do believe it is 13 ft 6 in for height . But the true deadweight is what we will need to get before we head south . [If we get it] Also a good route home and less of the Appalachian Mts up through NY & Penn . .
Got to go , heading for a boat ride , Here is one I would like to play pirate on and sell the booty , loaded with10,000 metric tons of Diesel and heading for NJ .
THX again Merry Christmas LPBP
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

The technical specifications for my boat (Albin 30FC) which is slightly larger than the A-28 list a "loaded displacement" of 9800 pounds. I assume that means with fuel, but I don't know what else. When I had it hauled last fall the crane operator weighted it and it came in at almost exactly 12000 pounds. At the time of the lift it had 98% full fuel, empty water and holding, plus all the usual gear that accumulates over several years of use. Based upon that I think you should plan for a minimum of 2000 pounds over the weight of your boat itself, not counting the trailer.
By the way, if you are successful in your purchase plans that might double the number of Albin 20/30s in Ontario. I am not aware of any others although I know there quite a few 25s and 27s.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

HAPPY NEW YEAR . Well it seems that our offer has been accepted I will be doing a winter road trip to MD next week to look at her and then call for a survey if I like her . If i am successfull does that mean I lose my mates status here . I might be getting ahead of myself ,but I have a guy that wants my 70 year old dory with out the diesel and may be the diesel sold too .[ heres hoping] Does any body need a 10 hp Bukh with 2 1/2 to 1 gear box . All fresh water use . Nice sail boat engine or for a small launch. Just kidding . Whats more important is that it could be ALBIN TIME !
The first step has been taken , now if it goes through -I just start writing cheques ---is that how it works ? and another and another . Any ways I will let you all know .
LPBP
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

If it falls through there is a great looking 28 TE hardtop right around the corner here in Riverside RI.

Carl
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Looking for driving directions . heading for Ocean City , What are the best and fastest roads to travel dwn from Philly. Google map keeps saying # 1 but it looks like it could get a little slow and built up near the coast . This is a quick trip and sightseeing is out this time . Shes A to B and Bto A in a hurry . I should fly but what a hassle at this time Thx LPBP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”