• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Metric tools

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Kokomo

Metric tools

Post by Kokomo »

I have spent many helpful hours reading this forum but this is my first post.

Monday we are buying a 1981 43 Trawler with lehmans and a Westerbeke. Will I find many/any metric nuts and bolts or allens on enginges, generator or the boat?

The boat is in the water and all of the thru hull valves are stuck open. Any suggestions on a non-destructive way to get them moving? Should I be sitting in the slings when I try?

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the Yachtworld listing: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... =1855&url=

Thanks

Jim
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Metric tools

Post by jleonard »

You won't need metric tools.
Assuming the thru hulls are original they should be able to be loosened and moved. At least in theory.
However it's possible they have been damaged by galvanic corrosion so if it were me, I'd wait until the boat is hauled.
That said, if it were me I would replace all the thru hulls. I replaced all in the 83 Albin 40 I bought. I don't like surprises.
Best of luck.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I agree that you should not try further efforts to move the thru-hulls until you are on the hard. Just check the hoses connected to them are in good condition and double clamped. I replaced 4 outta 5 of mine the first winter she was pulled. I did not replace the engine intake seacock, it's larger size made it less susceptible to be overcome by the elements than the smaller ones....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TheJudge »

One thing that most people fail to do is to exercise those thru hull valves. Over time they will freeze up from corrosion or oxidation and trying to force them can break one off and then you had better have a plug available and working bilge pumps. A better idea is to work them open and closed each time you go to your boat. This should keep them in good shape for many years. As to the ones that are stuck now, I would first spray them with a little liquid wrench and tap them with a nylon mallet lightly to let the liquid wrench penetrate. Then let is sit for a day and try using the mallet to tap the handle and see if it will move. All of this I would do out of the water. I believe you may be able to get them to work. Them grease them around the base. Good luck.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Many of those old seacocks have a tapered center section. I'm trying to remember how they look but I think there is a nut opposite the handle side that can be loosened slightly that will loosen the taper and allow easier movement of the valve.
I removed or replaced all mine a few years ago and it's hard to remember what they looked like. :roll:
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Kokomo

Post by Kokomo »

From Kokomo

Thanks for the comments. We bought the boat and I just spent a week below decks. You are right - no metrics.

I was able to loosen the nut and open & close the through hulls. I think it was due to an intact bonding system and good zincs.

Love the boat.

Thanks

Jim
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

was able to loosen the nut and open & close the through hulls
Good!

Love the boat
Even better!! :D

But you should still put replacing the thru hulls and seacocks on your project list. Just be preapred if you replace the engine intake as it is a funky design I have never seen or at least mine was. It was built like a big funnel. I had to glass up the hole, then redrill a straight hole for the new thru hull.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

[quote] Just be preapred if you replace the engine intake as it is a funky design I have never seen or at least mine was. It was built like a big funnel. I had to glass up the hole, then redrill a straight hole for the new thru hull.

Do you have any photos available of your intake? ours is a little funny too, and was wondering what to do with it. Planing on replacing all the seacocks with good ball valves and two plastic thru-hulls with bronze, as well as any suspect hoses while we are still in our "restoration bubble" :)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Sorry no photos of the original intake. It was a bear to get out as thru hulls go mainly because I wasn't expecting this contraption. Then since it was a funnel, I had to do some serious grinding to make a proper bevel so I could properly reglass it. I glassed it up solid, inside and out, then cut a new hole with a hole saw to fit the new 1 1/2 inch thru hull with a strainer scoop. New seacock, and elbow, hose and a new 1 1/2 inch Groco raw water strainer.
Then reduced to 1 inch to the new upgraded Johnson raw water pump for the Lehman.
I like to keep my raw water system up to snuff....that's the one system that can take the engine out in nanoseconds.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thru hull fittings

Post by NJRobert »

Can anyone help me out? I have a 2007 28TE with what appears to be stainless steel thru hull fittings. On of them, the 5/8" was starting to get pitted and I had the yard replace it last season. It only lasted a few months before it pitted again. Must have been real garbage that they used. All the others on the outside look like new. However, when I look from the inside in the cabinet in the head, I noticed that the rear of the larger fittings are made of grey plastic. Someone told me that these thru hulls are actually stainless coated plastic on the outside. Regardless, they look great, and I am looking to replace the 5/8" one, with this OEM type. Anyone know the brand name?

Thanks
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thru hull fittings

Post by Mariner »

NJRobert wrote:Can anyone help me out? I have a 2007 28TE with what appears to be stainless steel thru hull fittings. On of them, the 5/8" was starting to get pitted and I had the yard replace it last season. It only lasted a few months before it pitted again. Must have been real garbage that they used. All the others on the outside look like new. However, when I look from the inside in the cabinet in the head, I noticed that the rear of the larger fittings are made of grey plastic. Someone told me that these thru hulls are actually stainless coated plastic on the outside. Regardless, they look great, and I am looking to replace the 5/8" one, with this OEM type. Anyone know the brand name?

Thanks
If it's pitting that quickly, my guess would be that you have a problem with the bonding system, rather than it being "garbage" that they used. In fact, the fact that the 2007 one pitted seems to suggest the same thing.
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Actually the "garbage" I'm referring to is aftermarket with my marina, that they installed. The original ones that came with the boat still look like new. Unfortunately I reveived the boat as "new" with this particular thru hiull fitting being different that all the others. My experienced marine store, Lockwood Boat Works, knew the OEM brand right away, and told me it was plastic under stainless. Whatever it is, it's great looking after 4 seasons in the water. I think that I can obtain a new one, however not sure if I'm going to keep the boat or not. Thanks for the info.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NJRobert »

Yes. Very helpful. The Perko that the marina put on was a straight fitting, not a 90 degree. Is there supposed to be a 90 on there? Fortunately I have a photo that I can show you, but unfortunately I cannot figure out how to send the photo on this web site. Is there an email address that I can send it and show you? Thanks.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport

Return to “Albin Maintenance”