• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Southern Venture

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Southern Venture

Post by RicM »

Well it's too late to chicken out now, so I thought I'd start a new thread to make it easy to follow my "southern venture". If anyone has missed it, I am preparing Time after Time, our 03 28TE to be shipped south for the winter. I simply did not get enough good weather this lousy New England summer, and rather than face that cold, dark 6 months of depression and waiting, the boat is going on a flat bed to Jensen Beach FL. My intention is to go down 1 week a month over the winter and live and work aboard in a more pleasant climate. Oh, and maybe catch a sailfish.
I have spent the last week getting the boat ready, running down the fuel, water, etc. Last weekend I did remove the radar dome as requested by the hauler, "Skipper's Shipper"...
http://skippershipper.com/
which was actually fairly easy. I spent a beautiful Sunday yesterday when I should have been tog fishing taking down the antennae and wrapping the radar arch for the trip...
I figure about 25 hours at 60 knots would probably saw through all the wires that go into the arch, not to mention the strain on the equipment itself.
That sounds like a great beginning for a joke, "How to you make an Albin 28 go 60KTs?..."
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Southern Venture

Post by zinbaad »

I just love it, livin the dream & taking the opportunity to do it. Good luck Ric & keep us posted.. (Dreams of Marathon Key dancing in my head) :P
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

You may want to cover the hailer and remove or tape down the windshield wiper blades...

Have a good trip...
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Joe,

Yes I was thinking about both of those issues. The pantograph arm on the center window is a wicked PITA to get adjusted correctly. I thought about just shrink wrapping the 3 windows as well, but I've got to see where I'm going to get the boat over to the place that's going to haul it. I just heard from Skipper's Shipper and they think they will be here Monday, Nov 2.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

What about bringing a roll of the clear packing film (stuff they use to go around pallets of goods when shipping). Drive the boat to the shipper and wrap before hauling. You could open the side windows and run the wrap around and over the windshield protecting the wipers from winds and the windshield from pepples. Then just close the windows when completed.

Just a thought.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

:mrgreen:

Funny, I was thinking about going to Florida in January...wonder where I'll stay...
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:....My intention is to go down 1 week a month over the winter and live and work aboard in a more pleasant climate.
Good for you TaT is already equipped with A/C 8)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Funny, I was thinking about going to Florida in January...wonder where I'll stay...
You can stay right here....
http://www.aamarina.com/index_files/Page1070.htm
and if you bring beer, you might get a boat ride.....
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Ric,

Ask your hauler if he can do a return trip? I have a 20' center console in Key Largo that I am looking to bring back to Long Island.

I'll PM you as well.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

It was a mild but cloudy weekend here in NE and as the hauler is coming Monday after lunch, it was now or never. I experienced a true boating miracle on Saturday when I attempted to install my new TV. I went for the Jensen Marine 19" as I could not find a cheapo LCD that ran on 12V (my old 15" Samsung was not prepared for the digital change over). To my shock and amazement the new TV fit perfectly into the old space, even the old bracket fit perfectly with the same screws! I wold not have been more shocked if the virgin's face appeared on the screen when I powered up!

Today, Sunday, I filled the cabin which is looking more like the shipping container that it has become. I then stowed the canvas and shrink wrapped the helm & nav stations. I think she's ready to go. I hope to get some pics on the trailer tomorrow to post.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

Outstanding adventure. Keep the photos and details coming. Make sure you stow enough rods, I hear there are fish in Florida!

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Nice work Capt.

Leaving the LPR ribbons for good luck I see. Where'd you get the cool squeegee on the table. :D

I hope there's no grease on the swivel base of the helm chair on the v-berth cushions...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

BTW, Dad will be down Dec 1st thru Dec 14th. Not sure what your plans are. PM or call me for his cell if you need.
Then he goes back to FL Jan 5th to return to NY sometime in April....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

As with all things boating, the first thing you learn is "You gotta wait". The hauler ran into some issues with his running lights and couldn't drive after dark, so he's leaving the Cape first thing in the AM. Should be here Tuesday, around 9AM. I have work stuff that I need to get to by 11, so if he's late Dave will be on photo duty.
Rob:
December my plan is 14th-20th. It's the only days I could fit in between our Holiday Party and Christmas, so I will be passing Bob in the airport.
You can't see it but the helm seat is wrapped in an old Red Sox towel to protect the upholstery, and the squeegee....I took it off a guy trying to clean my windshield at a stoplight!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Well of course the continued delays backed up the pickup to Tuesday afternoon when I had work stuff scheduled that I couldn't postpone. I left the ever reliable Dave in charge of the camera and to act as my eyes & ears on the ground. All went well with Dave giving high marks to Skipper Shipper's driver Mike, who was reported to be meticulous in the placement of the boat, to the aggravation of the yard manager at Brewer's. That was a plus as the yard manager at Brewer's Wickford is a widely acknowledged a$$hole, and his consternation brought joy to those attending (Dave & Richard). BUT she's off! I am flying down Sat afternoon and hope to find TaT blocked in the yard at Four Fish Marina where I will spend 2 or 3 days polishing up before going into the warm coastal water of FL.....

Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”