• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular Replacement Promotion

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Peninsular Replacement Promotion

Post by jcollins »

Our newest member asked me to paste this.

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?p=336
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Peninsular Replacement Promotion

Post by jleonard »

Ahhh..the true purpose of his membership.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

So cynical!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

It comes from being a moderator on the Mainship owner's site in Yahoo for about 10 years. Every time we allowed a dealer or broker membership the hammer came down a few days later. Then we would unsubscribe him.
Now we first issue a stern warning....and they all back off.
Yes I am cynical in that regard. Guilty as charged. But I am a child of society.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

As someone involved in the communication industry (we used to call it advertising), I can tell you that communication between customers and companies is changing very rapidly right now. Younger people would see this as a legitmate attempt to reach out to a population of Pennisular owners that might be brought back into the fold with a rather generous offer to replace aging motors. I do think the he could have just been up front about the whole thing, but creating new paradigms can be messy.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I have to say that I'm happy to see him here and frankly, as the owner of a "seasoned" TE, I'm very happy to see that an option exists should my current motor need replacement.

It's true that advertisers on boards can cause issues but just as we wanted Albin's support here having the manufacturer of my boat's most important "add on" :D part of our community seems like a very good thing. And I'm certainly happy that they're not only still around but that I CAN get pretty close to a bolt in replacement.

(And I'm, on paper anyway, "older". But I do think it's legit until proven otherwise.)

So...I say "welcome Bert!"

(Do the new ones still have the "BEAST" label? Cause that's just awesome!! 8) I love showing off my engine!!)

JMHO
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

This is getting good. :wink:
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Well we really shouldn't bitch about lousey customer support then bitch when they try to do support now should we? We are all here for some degree of self interest. It ain't for the witty repartee' and expository writing style. For that see the sports column written by Jason Gay twice a week in the Wall Street Journal. I'll post a link if you guys don't read the WSJ every day.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
PeninsularEngines
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by PeninsularEngines »

Hello,

It's great to see the discussion here. Let me take this opportunity to clarify a few things.

The efforts to upgrade our web site and to participate in this forum are all part of a an initiative to leverage internet technology to connect with our customers. As the manufacturer of Peninsular marine engines, we have a great deal of expertise, not just in the engine itself, but transmissions, turbo chargers, cooling systems, starters/alternators, etc, that we believe are of value to you. We are here to support your passion of boating. Do I hope that our support of your passion helps sell more Peninsular marine engines? Sure. Beyond that, we want to build a relationship with you and your boat to the point where you can pick up the phone and call if there is an issue with your Albin boat (or any boat for that matter) with a Peninsular marine engine in it. In addition to engine sales, we also have an outstanding parts department and we're always looking for new ways to make the 6.5L marine diesel get you where you want to go.

So, to those who welcome us here on this forum - thank you. For the cynics among you, give us some time to get to know you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. For anyone who owns a Peninsular marine diesel - we're here for you!
Bert DeVries
Peninsular Engines, Inc.
www.PeninsularDiesel.com
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

It ain't for the witty repartee' and expository writing style.
I told you this is getting good. :lol:
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I told you this is getting good.
I think this is getting logical, which is the opposite of the usual direction on many forums (check any thread on "The Hull Truth") and I applaud those who have made these posts. Can't we all just get along?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Truth be told the members of the group are gentlemen. Since it's inception in 2006 I have banned one person, and only a handful, that I know of, got mad and left on their own. I am usually the one to incite this type of thread with my comments in a attempt to keep things humorous. We obviously have members that are a little edgy, very calm, young, and old. New members are eager to learn and older members are eager to share the knowledge about the brand, boating, and life in general.
Before I get on one of my rants (good or bad) here, let me just say that I appreciate anyone joining with the username peninsular. Given the bad reputation of the brand from inexperienced owners or mechanics Bert has to be ready for what could be coming his way. I guess most of the Peninsular owners here and myself are the lucky ones. Yanmar has had problems that ended up in class action, the CAT 3116 has a bad reputation, and Peninsular has had it's problems. My engine starts and runs well. That's good enough for me. Honestly, if I needed to repower, I would take a hard look at the promotion.
Hey Bert! If you need a "demo" boat to show off that new engine on the Chesapeake I'm your guy.

Welcome Bert. Share the knowledge.

Where is Mariner when I need him? :)
John
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

For the cynics among you, give us some time to get to know you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Fine with me. I'll read and wait.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

All this fuss over a manufacturer willing to expose themselves to the masses? Peninsular knows the problems they have had with their engines and they also know what that has done to their reputation. I have never seen a worse bunch of cackling hens than boat owners, potential owners and mechanics. If there are ANY problems with a boat, specifically with the engine, word gets around and before you know it, the end of civilization as we know it is at hand. I have personally talked to a dozen people that have approached me with questions and praise about my boat and the reputation it has for it's ability to handle rough seas etc. only to see the look on their face when I tell them it has a Peninsular engine in it. People that know absolutely nothing about the engine are terrified when I tell them what engine I have in it. Even after I explain to them that most of the trouble was limited to a very distinct set of serial numbers, they are turned off completely. Peninsular has diagnosed the problem, has made the adjustments necessary to correct the problem, ( which was many years ago I might add) and they have moved on. They remain dedicated to the marine industry and their customers both new and old and they are here to help. I know this rant is for nothing and it will not change even one mind. Those of you with a different brand of diesel in your boat will continue to look down your nose at those with the Peninsular. Thats OK, I will continue to run my engine that gives me great mileage, no smoke, is very simple to work on, was made locally and has great customer service and the parts are inexpensive to buy. And by the way, I don't need a two day class just to learn how to change the oil or to find the zincs or to figure out the manual telling me when I need to have a very expensive factory service check up done. I for one am happy with my Peninsular engine and I tend to look down MY nose at those paying twice what I pay. Just my two cents, for what that is worth. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Well said Dennis! I'm considering ripping out my Yanmar tomorrow and replacing it with a Penninsular, what kind of a deal could I get on that? Seriously, I don't think anyone on this board is looking down their nose at Penninsular. If you spend time on The Hull (UN)Truth or boatdiesel.com, they argue all day about who's boat is better and never get out on them. If you like your boat, and it works for you I say good on ya!
Last edited by RicM on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”