• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Dumb Mistake

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

A27 Dumb Mistake

Post by Ron222 »

My wife Marcy and I will be regular visitors and contributors to this great Albin site. As indicated in a previous note we have moved up to an Albin 34 from our current Albin 27. One more Albin and we will qualify as owning an Albin fleet. Hopefully we can sell our A27 (Willet) soon but any sale now hinges on resolving this "dumbest mistake ever" first. While getting Willet ready for winter I decided to change the transmission fluid in her Hurth Transmission. I try to do this annually as recommended in the owners manual. Each year, I pump out the fluid using a hand held pump but because the hose always wants to curl I place a stiff wire (8") along the end of the hose and use electrical tape to keep the wire in place. This helps to guide the end of the hose to the bottom of the oil and not curl inside. This year, the hose/wire idea got caught on something inside the transmission (a gear?) and the wire and tape slipped off. At least, I think this is true. However, there is another possibility which is that the wire and tape pushed up the hose. There was a tape/wire bundle higher on the hose but this could have been my first attempt to straighten the wire 2 years ago or the tape/wire didn't get caught inside but rather was pushed higher on the hose. So, here is the problem: I need to look inside the transmission through the approx 5/8 inch fluid fill hole. Has anyone used an industrial borescope with a light (not unlike what is used for a colonoscopy, yikes) to look inside an engine or other object like a transmission. They sell for about $225 but would rather borrow one from a mechanic if they are readily available. Also, what will happen to this style transmission if foreign objects like tape and thin wire remained and it is run. I think I can guess the answer but one never knows for sure. I hope someone can offer advice on this dumbest mistake ever or should I just say expensive mistake.
Ron
A27 and A34
Westbrook/Middletown, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: A27 Dumb Mistake

Post by jcollins »

In a polite society I guess we could say it was an unfortunate mistake. :( That being said, it's probably higher in the hose/tube as your suggested. If it had been in there last year, you would have noticed it...right? Maybe? Given my very bad experiences with DIY projects (a recent filter change went bad) I would opt for a mechanic to check it if you not sure. Expensive yes, but it would be a good selling point in the listing. "Transmission recently torn down and inspected" Just leave out the part about why.

You should get some more helpful replies to this post.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have used one of the flexible scopes made by Rigid. One of the guys at the marina had one he uses for a demo. I was not impressed with the images. Not sure if you would be able to see a wire in the tranny.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Ron222
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kingman Yacht Center, Pocasset, MA

Post by Ron222 »

Good News. I was able to borrow a fiberoptic borescope from an auto mechanic. Great tool but expensive(around $500 - 600). This scope allowed me to look around inside the transmission. No sign or evidence of missing wire or tape. The transmission is running fine. Hanson Marine rebuilt the transmission several years ago and they were not very concerned even if material were inside. The Hurst Transmission is mechanical not velvet drive and the gears just get bathed in the fluid as it turns. The mechanic who rebuilt the transmission said tape and/or small wire would get destroyed by the gears and wouldn't effect the shifting. Fortunately, the Hurth Transmission does not have fluid ports for lubrication. I feel much better. The mechanic I borrowed the scope from told me he uses it all the time to look at valves and areas behind engines. This is really a great boat tool. I am going to look on ebay or the internet to see if I can buy one for less than $300. Well see. If I find one I will pass the information along to the members.
Ron
Paumanok A34
Westbrook, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sounds like you nipped it in the butt. However, if the wire is magnetic you could use a magnetic pick up tool to poke around. Just don't make your own tool or you may drop the magnet in too :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”