• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Block Island this weekend - need help

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Block Island this weekend - need help

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

Yes, DougSea here...I've let life get in my way a bit too much lately and really haven't been on the Board much. My apologies to my AOG friends out there!

I need to ask the advice of anyone out there familiar with the Bloack Island Boat Basin. Kathy and I are planning a little Columbus Day cruise from Norwalk Connecticut to BI and we wanted to re-live our first rendezvous by staying at the Boat Basin. Only problem, they will NOT answer the phone! So, does anyone know how to get a hold of them OR if a reservation is really needed this time of year? Any recommendations for a different marina?

Any help at all would be appreciated!

And, if any of you are so inclined, it would be great to see another Albin or two while we're there. We're planning on being there Friday and Saturday nights and will then move on to either Mystic or Essex for Sunday night (thoughts?) before heading on home on Monday.

I hope you are all doing well.

Doug
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Block Island this weekend - need help

Post by jleonard »

I wouldn't worry too much about a reservation this time of year.
Enjoy!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

I cannot tell you for sure what they are doing out there this time of year but I can tell you they are not into technology! No computers or even answering machines. We went out to Block for several days after the Rendezvous in Essex and did not have trouble getting in.
We feel the Boat Basin is very good and Paynes would be the second choice. It is just around the corner to the left of the Boat Basin.
The rest rooms and showers for the Boat Basin are in the basement of The Oar Restaurant , so perhaps a call to them might raise someone. Champlins may be the most likely as they have a hotel and marina 401-466-7777. In the summer they raft boats 4-5 deep but this time of year I would think it would be fine. Not as many drunks stumbling across your boat!!

Good luck and I hope you have a nice weekend.

Jersey Albin,
Craig
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Just go, they'll find a place for you somewhere. The Boat Basin is marginally open through Columbus Day but they may have taken up the floating docks, depending on the weather and labor availabililty. They will usually tie you up to the permanant dock with a fender board. Bring your long shore power cable though, as sometimes the open spots are not right at the power outlets. Joe, I believe, is the dockmaster's name and he lives in a little sailboat attached to the dock that doesn't look like it goes anywhere. $20 usually does the trick this time of year
If they are not around Payne's Dock is fun, they will always find you a place and Columbus Day Weekend is usually last call at their famous bar, Mahogany Shoals. All the left over liquor gets poured out on the last night. Usually quite a scene, especially if you like Chamboard mixed with Kaluha. There's no need for reservations this time of year, and if the weather's nice it can be a magical place to steal one last weekend. I might just see you there!

Ric
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Thanks guys.

I did end up calling the Oar, they're pretty sure the the Boat Basin's closed up since the docks are out and "They normally hang around here and we haven't seen them"!

I got a hold of Champlins and they're still open with docks in and water on so we'll probably go there. Have my new West Marine electric heater all set and looking forward to a nice end of season voyage.
Doug
Sonny IV
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Must be a result of the crappy economy. Normally They are open thru Columbus weekend.
Enjoy your stay at BI
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The guy that owns BIBB is a bit eccentric, and does exactly what he wants to, when he wants to. I would still swing by and see if Joe's there. As I said, $20 (right into his pocket) will get you all set up if he's there. If he's not, just tie up for free! (bring a fender board). If you haven't been there before, I would really consider Payne's. The people there are a hoot. We've had a lot more fun there than at Chaplin's where they tend to be REAL cranky the last few weeks of the season.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Pulled up at the Boat basin but they were tight on space. The guy there was "Tony". He sent us over to Payne's where I've learned that the dockmaster, Cliff, is an absolute master with a spring line!

Wind has been honking out of the NW and we were tugging at our lines earlier but it's calmed down now. Think we'll stay through tomorrow and head home Monday. Great late season trip!
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “General Discussion”