• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A couple Albin Owners member sightings in the San Juans!

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

A couple Albin Owners member sightings in the San Juans!

Post by Mariner »

My new fiance and I took a day trip (via car) to the San Juan islands yesterday to scope out some potential wedding locations, as well as show a couple friends around (maid of honor and her husband) who had never been to the islands. And while exiting Thatcher Pass on the ferry (Elwha), I spotted a familiar shape in the distance. When the shape was perhaps two miles away I turned to the Admiral-to-be and said, "I think that's a 36' Albin". As it approached, I said, "I bet it's the Blue Moon". She, of course, had no idea who that was. I honestly surprised myself when, as it got closer, my suspicion was confirmed.
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Then, as we drove down the hill into Roche Harbor, I spotted the familiar shape again. I knew, since Blue Moon was headed east through Thatcher Pass, it would be extremely unlikely that the same boat would end up twenty miles west, on the other side of the islands, just a few hours later. But two 36' Albin Fast Trawlers in the islands at the same time? Considering how few of these boats were made, and that there are perhaps only seven or eight on the entire West Coast (one of which I knew was sitting back at home in Gig Harbor), I knew it was rather unlikely to see two in the same day. But sure enough, upon walking down the dock and getting a closer look, there was Indigo.
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Re: A couple Albin Owners member sightings in the San Juans!

Post by joreyn »

That was us! About 9:30 or 10 Saturday morning, heading back to the summer home port (Anacortes) after our cruise to Princess Louisa Inlet. We had a great 11 day cruise! Perfect weather, with the exception of strong wind and 3-4 foot seas on the Georgia Strait.

You should honeymoon up at Princess Louisa. It's like a cathedral in there. I'll post a few more pictures in the next day or two.

Joreyn
"Blue Moon"
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

By the way, Mariner, try blowing the picture up to full screen (double click on the third shot). You'll see two things.

First, I am proudly flying my AOG burgee from the halyard on the mast.

Second, that's a nice friendly wave from me to you and your fiance (well, :lol: mostly the fiance).
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our plan is to get married in the islands, and then take off on the boat for two weeks as our honeymoon. I was thinking Desolation Sound, but I've never been into Princess Louisa, so perhaps we will do that instead.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joreyn »

Potentially you can do both, if you have two weeks. Princess Louisa is somewhat on the way to Desolation Sound. It would be a two day side trip. Well worth it!

I would reccomend crossing the Georgia Strait from Nanaimo to Secret Cove, or maybe Pender Harbor. Next day, to Princess Louisa, carefully timing your arrival at Malibu Rapids for the slack tide. Spend the night at Princess Louisa, then back out on the slack the next day, maybe staying at Grief Point. The following day, you can easily make Desolation Sound.

Trip of a lifetime!

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”