• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water Tanks

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Water Tanks

Post by Doug »

Our boat is a 32+2CB. The 2 50 gallon water tanks are aluminum and are tied together.

In the summer we do not spend nights on the boat, so little if any water is consumed. My normal practice is to put a tablespoon or so of Clorox in the tanks whenever I fill it. We then use an activated charcoal filter to remove the clorine smell and taste. My question is whether it is better to keep the tanks full or empty them during this 3 to 4 month time period?

Doug Fuller
St. Petersburg, FL
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Water Tanks

Post by fairtide »

There will be at least several worthy replies to your question. My suggestion is to keep your tanks empty or nearly so for several reasons. First, water weighs about eight pounds per gallon and every bit of extra weight aboard reduces fuel economy unless you are operating at displacement speed. Secondly, water that is stagnant is not anything that you will want to use for any purpose except for extinguishing a fire. Even if you don't use tanked water for drinking or cooking, the water will be, well, grody.
For those boat owners who do use tanked water for drinking and cooking, be aware that the conduit from the local municipal source pipe to your tank may contain segments that were not designed for potable water. The usual culprit here is the garden hose that we have connected to the dockside hose bib. If you read the back of the cardboard display that the hose was attached to when you purchased it, you will probably find cautions that suggest that the hose contains lead or other not-named components that may pollute the water that it carries.
A safe, but not convenient alternative for on board water at galley and head sinks is to have some plastic bottles of tap water on hand for what small needs you have. The water can be refreshed easily. Keep a separate and safe supply of water for drinking and food prep.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

My thinking would be to keep the tanks full and to drain some water from the hot water heater after each trip. I do not use much hot water on my 28 and found that it developed a really foul odor from sitting in the tank. I turn on the hot water in the head and galley after each trip for a minute of two. I also treat as you do with a cap of bleach. I haven't had any more odor problems.
The other reason to leave the tanks full is mold. Being in a hot, moist environment, the tanks may develop quite a bit of mold while sitting nearly empty. That could lead to clogged lines and spray nozzles at the galley and head sinks. Also, on my 28, it rides much better with a full water tank. Just my opinion... Also, I do not use the water for drinking just cleaning and showers. I carry bottled water for drinking (mainly because the odor problems scared everyone off :shock: )

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I have a starboard list that I correct with trim tabs. I've found I use less tab when the water tank is full. I usually keep it filled up.
I use the water for cleaning, showers, etc. I have brushed my teeth with it but don't swallow. :wink:
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

My water used to smell horrible after a couple days until I tried Aquabon from West Marine. The water in my tank has been in there for a couple of weeks with no smell yet.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

jumpjet,
I googled Aquabon and found they have several products/systems.
Which is the one you found to be so helpful?

Thanks.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

It just say Aquabon on the label. The product number is 208892. I bought it at West.
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Thanks!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Albin Maintenance”