• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder Post Repack

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bigsteve51
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rudder Post Repack

Post by Bigsteve51 »

I have just noticed some seepage at the top of the rudder post on my 1997, 28TE. Has anyone ever repacked the rudder post when the boat is in the water, and what did you use to repack it. I am trying to get the boat into good shape and this is just one of the small items that needs attention. I find it is best to see if someone has done it and find out the pitfalls before jumping into it, so any help someone can provide is greatly appreciated.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Rudder Post Repack

Post by Russell »

I have not repacked mine but tightened it a bit to stop a leak. On most packing glands you can do that a few times before they need to be repacked.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I went down in the bilded & noticed my port rudder is having a bit of seepage also.. Any suggestions on how to tighten up? I see a thin stainless wire that might need to be clipped?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I am not sure about the 31 but the 28 has a normal packing gland with a locking nut and the nut to tighten against the packing. You need two large wrenches and it can take a lot of force if the locking nut has not been loosened for a few years. The position is awkward and you have to have very strong arms.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

In theory you should be able to repack the rudder post gland with the boat in the water. The top of the rudder tube should be above the waterline so water won't flood in. You may want to double check that it is above the waterline since it could vary with load in the boat. All this said, the job will be difficult because without alot of disasembly of the upper support and tiller arm, the gland nut will not slide off the rudder post. You will have to pack it from the bottom with it on the post. This can be done, but it may be difficult to get the packing in correctly. I would try tigtening the gland nut for now and repack the next time the boat is out of the water. Be sure the yard blocks it high enough that you can slide the rudder post out without hitting the ground.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “Albin Maintenance”