• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

White Smoke

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

White Smoke

Post by Dave »

Just did a search on white smoke and found a few items but none that really helped me so here we go. My 1988 Albin 27 with the 160HP Isuzu for the last couple of years would emit a small amount of white smoke when I hit about 2300 RPM. At the end of last season I went to around 2200 RPM and noticed a little smoke but not to serious as I seldom run over 2000 RPM, but when the tach hit 2200 it dropped down to 2000 and stayed there but the engine didn't sound like it lost RPMs. This year I have only been out a couple of times and I am getting a considerable amount of white smoke at 2000 RPM and the tach drops to about 1800 but the engine dosen't sound like it is losing RPMs. The white smoke is quite a concern to me. If I run the engine at 2000 RPM without engaging the transmission I don't get the white smoke which seems strange to me. I know the engine is old and maybe sitting in the below freezing temperatures all winter have a negative effect but up until this point it has worked great. I put the batteries in this year, turned the key and it started better than my car, so hopefully this is nothing major, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Re: White Smoke

Post by chiefrcd »

If you search around the forums you'll find several post over the last couple of years on "white smoke". For most of us it has been steam. It is quite normal for my boat (Yanmar 6lp 300 ste) to emit steam all year round. Doesn't matter if I'm 40 degree water or 80 degree water...I always have whisp of steam coming out around the exhaust. Steam disappears very fast and doesn't trail behind the boat like smoke will. Most actual smoke that I am familiar with will be dark ( excessive diesel ) or blueish (oil ) and will trail behind the boat for a long way. I'm not sure on the rpm's dropping and how that would have an effect on producing any steam or smoke but I'm not at all familiar with your particular engine. If you don't find what you're looking for here, check out www.boatdiesel.com. It's the best 25.00 you'll ever spend if you own a boat.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”