• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery talk again Albin28 2005

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Battery talk again Albin28 2005

Post by Butch »

What battery is one and what battery is 2 Big Battery or small battery, Does the generator charge both regardless of the number that is on ?????? Thanks
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Battery talk again Albin28 2005

Post by RicM »

HA! There is no true answer to that one except the one you find yourself! If you are the only owner since new that eliminates some of the possibilities, but I would run a series of tests to be sure. Put battery switch on 1, disconnect red lead from small battery. Turn on the lights. No power? That's battery #!. Repeat for battery #2, don't assume anything! The charger SHOULD be connected to both batteries before the switch. Most modern 2 battery chargers will automatically select the needy battery, charge it first, then charge the other. You can check to be sure with a volt meter.

Ric
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Butch wrote: Does the generator charge both regardless of the number that is on ?????? Thanks
Butch,
My charger will charge both if the switch is set to "all". When set to 1 or 2, it only charges that battery. I have tested this by draining the batteries, then recharging. All this done at the dock of course.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

My charger charges both at the same time regardless of the switch position when plugged into shore power. The engine only charges the battery selected when its running. I believe when the both position is selected and the engine isn't running, the higher voltage battery will charge the weaker battery until they equalize. There are so many setups available. Do you have any way to monitor battery voltage?
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Almost any combination goes. I think it depended on who wired your boat. There was no standardized wiring diagram. On my '03 flush deck, Battery #1 is the one mounted centerline aft. Battery #2 is starboard forward of the deck box.

You should chase back the wiring of your charger. Most multibank chargers are geared to do what Ric stated and intelligently select which bank to charge first and how much juice to give. This requires that the charger be wired to each bank separately. It also help ensure that you are not overcharging one battery if the other is the one that really needs it.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit

Return to “Albin Maintenance”