• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water leaking into head area

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water leaking into head area

Post by Froggy »

Hi all,

I have a '93 28 TE convertible ( one of I believe only 14 or so that were made). When the mooring cover is off and it rains I'm getting water leaking down into the area to the left of the sink in the head. I've tried to track it down to no avail. I'm guessing it could be the instrument panel or windshield where it attaches to deck. Any thoughts? :?:
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water leaking into head area

Post by zinbaad »

Did you check the gaskits on the porthole windows. I left mine loosly closed and found water on the sink counter after the rain.. :|
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Froggy,
Yes. Me too. I don't think it's coming in from the instrument panel on mine. My gasket is loose. By the way, have you ever posted pictures of yours? Since I have a convertible as well, I would be interested in seeing them.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

I'm in the process of replacing ports with stainless ones but I don't think that's the problem. The water seems to be coming down the fiberglass liner.

I'll get some photos up when I launch her in a couple weeks.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I had a similar problem a few years ago with water leaking into the galley sink from behind the cabinets. I couldn't see exactly where the water was coming from and immediately suspected a port window. I pulled the suspect window cleaned the area and resealed it. After the next rain I still had the problem. After some more detective work I started looking at the bow rail anchor points and the rub rail. The problem ended up being a through hull to deck bolt behind the rub rail. We pulled the rub rail, backed out a bolt or two and resealed with 3M 5200 (I think).
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Thanks! It seems more like the problem. I first suspected the hatch over the bunk but I don't think that's it. I'm replacing the ports anyway with new stainless ones ( it's my boat yard stimulus program). If there is still leakage, I'll move on to the rub rail and the thru hull boats. I've also noted some streaking on the cabin liner forward of the head. The rub rail bolts would explain that as well as the leakage in the head area.

Did you ahve to pull the whole rub rail or only a section?

Carl :idea:
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

I'll bet you solve the problem when you replace the portholes. I had a leak on the port side, at about the same spot that your's is on the starboard. It turned out to be the caulking on the center porthole. The water would come in there & then run all the way to about 1/3 of the way down the companion berth. It was very difficult to track down as it took about 1/2 hour for the water that was coming in to get all the way to where it showed itself. I pulled out the portholes and re caulked them and the problem is solved.

Someone told me that sometimes when a sling is used to lift the boat it can loosen those seals in the portholes.

Good luck
><{{{*>
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Go for the rub rail. If you look at the rub rail you will see gaps in the caulk. If you re caulk the top of the rub rail it will more than likly stop. Best to pull the rub rail and rebed it . Lots of work to remove the old beding. Mine was leaking in the quater berth. I took the rub rail off this winter to paint the hull and could see where it had been geting under the bedding. Good Luck JACK
"AHLUVOIL"
2001 28TE
Westbrook.CT
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Do you have porthole covers? Might help keep some of the water out as well.
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”