• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Performance; I'm confused

MrZerto
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MrZerto »

I'm VERY interested in the 31 TE's. I'm seeing owners posting 17-18 kt cruise w/ a single 450hp Cummins.
Its seems to me that number should be north of there if you run 10% off the top. Feed back please.
new to this board
thx
Jim
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Performance; I'm confused

Post by Pitou »

As a general statement most will cruise 20 - 25% off of WOT for a "comfortable fuel efficient cruise". Though I am a 28TE owner with a 370 Cummins, at WOT my engine drinks 20 gph, at 10% off WOT she burns 15.8 gph and at 20% off and a comfortable cruise of 22 knots she burns 10gph and at what is still a reasonable sweet spot for the cruise at 25% off WOT she pushes 18 knots at 8 gph. Depending upon the sea state and time to arrival I find myself "cruising comfortably" at 18 to no more than 22 knots. I'd rather burn 8 - 10 gph than 15.8 to 20 gph and enjoy a longer cruising range. I believe the principal the same which ever boat you run ... it is usually about fuel burn & comfort. :wink: What do you run for a boat now or in the past.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
MrZerto
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MrZerto »

Thanks for the info. I ran a Duffy 35' w/ 370 6BTA Cummins. Understanding the different hull designs I figured these hulls would get much more cruising speed. It was a 16-18 knt cruise depending on current ect. My problem was the Duffy slept 4 not 5 comfortably. I really like the 35 TE's. The 31 TE's work too.
Jim
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

I took these pictures when I was selling my 31 with single 450C Cummins. They should answer your question.

I think the skeg impedes theorecial performance, but most here will tell you the benefits far outweigh the performance lost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
MrZerto
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MrZerto »

Tuxedo,
Thanks that helps. Is that 450 rated at 2850 RPMs. I'm lean toward a single too. Economy, weight and access considerations. Anyone have 35TE data w/ single power?
Thanks
Jim
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

MrZerto wrote:Tuxedo,
Thanks that helps. Is that 450 rated at 2850 RPMs. I'm lean toward a single too. Economy, weight and access considerations. Anyone have 35TE data w/ single power?
Thanks
Jim
The 450 is rated at 2600 RPM. I had it propped so it would turn 2700 at WOT. You can run it all day at 2400, burning about 17-18 GPH.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”