• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Family of four on a 28 TE flush deck?

mpel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Family of four on a 28 TE flush deck?

Post by mpel »

We are a family of four with a three and a four year old, currently considering the purchase of a 28 TE flush deck for weekend cruising. We are wondering if we are likely to find the sleeping arrangements to be satisfactory for our clan. Any experiences from families having tested this proposition would be appreciated.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Family of four on a 28 TE flush deck?

Post by Denis »

Personally, I find it tight with just two of us. The quarter berth is too small for two adults. The v-berth is ok to sleep on but you either lose your table if you leave your bunk set up or you have to take the table down every night to sleep on it. If you like tent camping it will be fine but finding places to put your cloths and food for four will be a challenge.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

If speed is not a big issue you might be better off with a 27 aft cabin. The kids will have their very own cabin instead of a shared cabin with you. They can keep it tidy or sleep in a playpen. Their choice. Don't want to look at it? Close the door. We bought ours new in 86 with 1st one just a year old. Sold it 13 years later with kids 14 & 12. The 27 does not try to be anything else but a family boat.

Before going bust Albin produced an aft cabin version using the basic 28 hull. don't know how many were built.

Another advantage of the 27AC. The Admiral gets a sunpad.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Jeff Lavallee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeff Lavallee »

Is that a standard sized Bimini on your 27? I know that you sold it, just wondering if it was a custom job or ordered from a catolog?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

It is a custom option as ordered from Albin new in 86. The original was destroyed in a lightning strike in 88. I had the side curtains but hardly used them. All zipped up in 'houseboat' mode the whole thing is very cosey. We would run our season from mid April to early January.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

You know that you will need to keep a really close eye kids of 3 and 4 years of age, especially when they get cranky or just, well, childish. A boat, you also know, can be a dangerous environment. It can become an unsteady platform for those without experienced sealegs. The cockpit should provide reasonable security against children overboard unless they like climbing where they shouldn't and the rail is not designed to keep little ones from a fall overboard when moving forward, whether they are allowed or otherwise.
As for sleeping, two kids can share the quarterberth, if not side-by-side, then lengthwise. As they get older, that may not work too well. Don't expect real privacy, mom and dad.
The cockpit is not a bad place for adults to convert to temporary sleeping quarters if there is a bimini and some enclosure to keep it bug-free and dry. The cockpit location is also a good barrier to keep kids who should be asleep below where they belong rather than having an early-riser discover the joys of watching a sunrise from the bow pulpit.
The flush deck model provides a nice open area that we think of as a daytime place, but with some thought, you may want to consider using it for your berths. That will free up lots of needed space below for whatever needs to be stowed or just kept at hand.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I am a former owner of the express version (open cockpit) of the Albin 27. When I decided I wanted a newer boat with more speed potential and more sleeping room I decided to purchase a new 2005 Albin 30 family cruiser which is basically a stretched version of the Albin 28, but with an aft cabin similar (but larger) to that which is common to most Albin 27s. The forward part of the A-30FC is identical to the A-28s with the quarter berth and the convertable v-berth. My boat also has a removable canvas encloure that turn the cockpit (which is smaller than that in the A-28) into a dining area or another sleeping area.
I have been very happy with this arrangement and I think it is much more suitable for a family with small children than is the A-28. Albin only started building the A-30FC in 2005 (mine is Hull #15) so there are comparatively fewer of them around and the prices of used ones tend to be higher because they are newer (check Yacht World). If you want to spend less I think you would be much better off with a good A-27 Aft Cabin than with the A-28.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

We are a family of four. My wife, myself and my two girls who turn 7 & 9 next month spent 30 comfortable nights on our 28TE last season. 9 of which were in a 4 port, 10 day trip.

Yes, the up & down of the table can be a pain if you want to use it every day but we do not. Between the engine box, small folding table and the facilities at the destination we found little to no reason to sit around the table in the cabin.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Veebyes2 »

We let them sleep wherever they drop.

1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

I recommend looking for a 28TE engine box. The deeper cockpit is safer for little tikes, the engine box can be used for additional seating and for a table when having drinks or meals outside, and the quarter berth is wider than on the flush deck. We have a 10 year old and an 8 year old and we fit just fine. I will say, however, that I usually don't get to sleep with wifey on the boat. I'm usually in the quarter berth with my son and my wife sleeps on the (very roomy) v-berth with my daughter. The duffle bags store nicely under the table when in the "down"position for sleeping. We love the boat! Go with the engine box model.
t
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Good point by pcthornton, the flush deck aft berth is narrowed considerably as opposed to the engine box model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We are a family of 4 and the "kids" are fine in the quarter berth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”