• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuse Sizes

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuse Sizes

Post by johnmurray »

When I was winterizing my boat last fell I discovered that the fuse for the macerator pump had blown. Not being able to find my stash of spare fuses I "borrowed" one from elsewhere (the trim tab circuit I think) to get the macerator pump going and completed the winterization.
I believe that when a fuse blows it is always prudent to find out why. Since I never use the macerator pump I assumed the fuse must have been undersized. Does anyone know what the fuse sizes should be in the panel in the Albin 28/30?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Fuse Sizes

Post by joe.baar »

Hi John,
Macerators that have been unused for long periods tend to have the impeller blades stick to the walls of the impeller chamber. This physical resistance to rotation can cause the motor to stall and thus the fuse to blow - which is a good thing and might even mean the fuse was sized properly to begin with.

Fuse size for your macerator will really depend upon the motor's amp draw, which will be stated on the data plate attached to the motor housing, and also upon the gauge and length of the wire run to and from the motor. You will be able to use tables in Charlie Wing's Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook or in Ed Sherman's Powerboater's Guide to Electrical Systems to size fuses correctly for your macerator and wire runs. Also look on-line at the macerator manufacturer's web site where they might accidently have disclosed the recommended fuse and wiring size for this equipment.

If you can get to the end of the motor you might find a slot for a screwdriver in the end of the macerator shaft. Sometimes you can unstick the impeller enough using that screwdriver to allow the macerator to operate as intended and thus forestall further electrical adventures.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”