• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Newport center bilge pump

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

28TE Newport center bilge pump

Post by NJRobert »

Today I discovered that the center bilge pump appears to be mounted under the floor, forward of the fuel tanks and aft of the center battery. This is an absurd design flaw and I'm hoping that someone can please tell me I'm wrong! It could only be seen with the help of a telescopic mirror and a flashlight.

Thanks
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Shark
Mate
Mate

Re: 28TE Newport center bilge pump

Post by Shark »

Sorry, my friend, but you are correct. Even after removing the battery, you'll notice (if it is like mine) that you will actually need to cut an access panel into the thin plywood "bulkhead" to service the pump. That is one of my projects for Spring commissioning in April. I will also replace the battery with a smaller, but equivalent, AGM battery that will afford me future access to the pump without having to yank the battery.
While you're at it, check your forward and aft bilge pumps. Mine had an electronic (not float) switch that activates the pump when water rises above the two circle contact points. The electronic switch works well, but is supposed to be mounted above (about an inch as I recall) the base of the pump. When mounted at the same level as the pump, which they both were, it would never shut off once activated (which killed my battery after I realized what happened). I remounted both switches at the necessary height above the base of the pump, and everything is fine now- but I learned the hard way.
Coming from a relatively small builder, she definitely has her "quirks" but if you have patience to work through them, you should be happy in the long run. I beat the hell out of her in the first season in a very bad storm on a 9 hour cruise, and she pulled through with flying colors. While she may lack in some initial design issues (which you can overcome), she has "good bones" and is truly a "tank" of a vessel.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”