• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2 fuel gages only one works?

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

2 fuel gages only one works?

Post by zinbaad »

From what I have heard my 31 TE has 3 interconnected fuel tanks with shut off between. First time i just filled from starboard side til it was filled. Last week I topped off both tanks starboard & port. Previous owner claimed only one fuel gage worked when bought new. Anyone else have theirs set up this way? :?:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2 fuel gages only one works?

Post by Mariner »

I have no idea about yor fuel gauge, but I can tell you that, when filling our 36' Express Trawler, I close the valve on the interconnecting lines, and fill each tank individually. I've found that if I don't, the fuel transfers slower than it fills, meaning that one tank will be full, and the other only about 1/4 full. Then when I go to top off the other tank, it is simultaneously being filled via the transfer hose. When that tank fills up, the first tank has then partially drained. They slowly equalize, but the end result is that I end up without completely full tanks. By filling them individually, I know that I they are both completely full.

This honestly surprises me, because the hoses connecting the two tanks (via a 20 gallon belly tank) are quite large. One would expect them to equalize faster than the pump can fill them.
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

I suspect the reason for the slow equalization is due to the fuel tank vents. The vent lines are generally quite small (relatively speaking) and forcing the air in the tank that is being "equalized" thru those small lines is bound to be a slow process. Until that air escapes fuel can't enter.

Gene
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Back to the original post. Does anyone have 2 fuel gages with one deliberately left off?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

I'm a little confused. Do you have 2 actual gauges on the dash, or a three-way switch on the panel for the fuel gauge?

Assuming you have the same set up as I had on my 1998 31 TE, there is only one sending unit for the tanks, which is in the center tank. Albin used the three-way switch in all it's boats, regardless of the number of tanks. On the 32 (32+2, 35, whatever) there were 2 tanks and a sending unit in each, so the three-way switch made sense. On the 31 and 28, they used it just because.

The fuel pickup and return is to / from the center tank. If you close the connecting valves and only fill port and starboard, you will drain the center tank when running and run out of fuel.

I always just filled whatever side was next to the fuel dock and let the tanks equalize. I got the boat close enough to jam-up fuel that I never worried about it. Now that I've moved on to a Tiara 38, I've got to say that filling boat sides is a pain and is one of the things I miss about the Albin.

Hope this helps.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

ah ha, a 3 way switch would make the most sense. Only filled up twice since I got it. !st filled only starboard, gage said full,added 167 gal(I thought it was short some gallons) second time I filled starboard waiting few minutes to eqalize the went to port & it took 35 gallons more. I guess it equalizes real slow. I would think that guages should work starbord & port though..Will check to see if 3 way.
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our 36 ET has a single dash mounted gauge with a three way switch. Flip it to the left, it shows the port tank, flip it to the right, it shows the starboard tank. Only problem is, it's horribly inaccurate. I once ran out of fuel when it said I had about 3/8 left in both tanks. That's 135 gallons I thought I had, but didn't, or about 13 hours of cruising. So, the next time it got low, I removed the sending unit from one of the tanks to visually inspect it and see if it could be calibrated. What I discovered was that as you moved the sending unit down from the top, it continued to register as full until about the 5/8 point. Then, it would drop to the point where, if the float was all the way at the bottom, the gauge showed a little over 1/4. This was the same for both sending units, leaving me to believe that the problem was with the gauge. We ended up replacing it with a Tank Tender, which uses air pressure to more accurately check the level of each tank. Still, even with this unit, the measurements are somewhat odd. The TT measures the level in inches. We bought the 36" unit, since our tanks are about 38" tall. I've never let it get below 12", but when the tanks are completely full, it only registers about 27". It should be registereing more like 30" or 33" if you ask me. Regardless, it's much more accurate than the dash gauge.

I suppose a new gauge on the dash might be in order, just to see if that solves the problem. If so, that would provide one more source of information.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I guess thats why the owner said it never worked,, a dumby :roll: gage
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Mariner wrote: What I discovered was that as you moved the sending unit down from the top, it continued to register as full until about the 5/8 point. Then, it would drop to the point where, if the float was all the way at the bottom, the gauge showed a little over 1/4....

I suppose a new gauge on the dash might be in order, just to see if that solves the problem. If so, that would provide one more source of information.
Replace the sending units with these

http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tan ... nk_Sensors

and your problems will be over.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Tuxedo wrote:Replace the sending units with these

Why's that?
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

checked it out yesterday. 3 tanks must have only the center tank on the sending unit to starboard gauge. Port gauge dead. 3 way switch power to starbord gauge only. Oh well
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Tuxedo »

Mariner wrote:
Tuxedo wrote:Replace the sending units with these

Why's that?
Because they work. :D

Seriously, look at the difference in design. They produce a very linear output and basically have one moving part.

I replaced the sending unit in my 31 with one of these after the original and a similar replacement failed. It gave me an accurate reading and never failed. I also installed on in the water tank. Again, accurate and no problems.

If you ask the boys on thehulltruth, they'll tell you the same.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Those look to be the same style as what is on our tanks currently. Since the problem is uniform between both tanks, I'm guessing it must be the gauge.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”