• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

9 Month 28TE

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

9 Month 28TE

Post by RicM »

OK, I admit that the coming of winter has me a bit depressed, and even dreaming of tropical climates again. The contract has arrived for winter storage, and the long dark is on the horizon. However, with the urging of Dave, my evil alter ego, we have (drunkenly last Friday) been kicking around raging against the machine rather than lying down and letting winter roll over us. His contention is that with a good heating system we could really fish until Dec 1, and then go back in the water March 1, meaning that Time After Time could really be a 9 month platform here in New England. I am interested to hear from owners in other climates about the mechanics of keeping the bottom wet for 9 months. Has anyone ever installed one of these hydronic heating systems?
http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo. ... id=313-H-C
If I was going to do it, I would go all the way and put the circ pump in also, so even when the engine was off we could blow heat from the hot water stored in the water heater and engine block. Perhaps eventually even an extended canvas enclosure with more enclosed (heated) space. I am going to be replacing at least 1 battery this winter, so I would add capacity to run fan & circ pump on DC when anchored/drifting. There are those wonderful days like today (Monday 10/27) when the temp hits the 60's in the afternoon and it's real flat, and there's cod fish out there somewhere....
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Ric,
I stayed in last year until Dec. 15th. This year the marina told me no later than Nov. 15th, unless I want to stay in all winter. I always try for a launch by the end lf March, but weather usually ties me up until April 15th. If I had a hardtop, I would stay in all winter.
Butch keeps his in all winter too.
I'll admit last year I was pushing ice when I moved the boat around to the travel lift. :lol:

By the way, when I first saw your topic, I thought your 28 was pregnent.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gestation

Post by RicM »

Everyone knows that the gestation period of an Albin 28TE is 14 months! Seriously, I would probably have to move to the liveaboard dock for the winter and haul Dec 15th - March 15th due to ice. Some winters we don't freeze at all, but 3 years ago there was enough ice to wreck a bunch of floating docks. It would probably be just as expensive to drive it to Georgia.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Good to hear from your Capt., I was just thinking you are a bit overdue for a Topic of your own.

Our boats are often in the water well into Dec. It's a combination of good tog fishing, drysuit diving for ground tackle broken off by wreck fisherman and the unavoidable denial that the season is ending.

More than not, in Nov & Dec it's the wind factor that makes it tough to get out. For the amount you will actually get out by extending the season a month or so I don't see that it warrants the work and expense of what you have explained.

Put some meat on those bones, dress warmer and bring along some hot food and beverages. There is some really good warm clothing and accesories available. When you do get out, most of the time will be spent standing around in the cockpit "with your rod in your hand" :D out in the elements and that "proper attire" is a must.

I'm sure others will disagree but that's my take on it as I sit here in my 68deg office sipping my java :wink: Maybe I'll reply again one cold dark morning in Dec when I'm ice-skating up to the bow to toss the lines...

Also, be sure to find out when the water at the marina is shut off so you are not suprised one day when you come in and need it and it's not there. That's another late season obstacle.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 9 Month 28TE

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote:OK, I admit that the coming of winter has me a bit depressed, and even dreaming of tropical climates again. The contract has arrived for winter storage, and the long dark is on the horizon. However, with the urging of Dave, my evil alter ego, we have (drunkenly last Friday) been kicking around raging against the machine rather than lying down and letting winter roll over us.
I/we in the northeast feel your pain. :evil: A couple of weeks ago I was pretty grumpy (so "THEY" say) as I was preparing to haul / stripping outriggers, antenna mast and off loading gear. Now that I'm on the hard and winterized awaiting the winter condomn / I have begun to temper.

9 months would be great or even 7 months would beat my current 6 months in the water. The cod and haddock are coming in close now as the stripers have moved south from our area.

Those heaters work the nuts, I have a friend that has one in a commercial boat. Where to put it in the 28??? That is the question. If you do go shopping for one, Hamilton Marine in Maine always has a sale on those rigs.

Don't give up the ship Ric!! You're my man!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Ric, I was on the same site last night. The state just extended striper season through Dec 31st and I have to pull-out a month early. Plan to stop at the marina Thursday to try to re-negotiate the haul out date. If I can’t, I’ll be changing marinas next year or keeping her in the water all year. I was looking at heaters and de-icers last night. I was wondering if one would fit along the floor through the lower aft port berth window.
What do you do to keep the engine space above freezing?
Good Luck
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
tlinson
Gold Member
Gold Member

winter heat

Post by tlinson »

All though I have a 26 I think it would be just as easy may be even easier to add a heater to a 28. I lnstalled a cabin heater last sept. It was fairly easy. I just tapped into my hot water heater lines with some hose to pipe adapters,tee's and a pair of ball valves. Snaked some heater hose through the cabin bulk head along with some wire for the fan.
Came out through a vent hole and mounted the heater under the cabin stair. It pumps out some nice heat and the 2 speed fan really helps. The only real problem is no one wants to take the helm any time the temp dips.
MUTINY on the Frosty !!!

Tlm Linson
TROSS 26 TE
/Users/timlinson/Desktop/P1010002.jpg
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

freezing

Post by RicM »

Well, (spoken with the inflection of Jack Benney addressing Rochester). There is no real need to worry about the engine itself, as it's coolant is already safe well below -20F. The raw water side may need some help if the water temp goes below 28 degrees, but that is easy to flush with antifreeze between uses.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Do you guys have block heaters on your engines?

The only good thing about pulling the boat during the winter is that I get caught up on projects around the house. (Yes dear, I'll clean the basement in December.)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I do not know for sure because I was not the first owner but the heater looks factory installed. It is located in the side wall where your feet are if you are steering standing up. If the platform is put down the air blows underneath it. Almost no warm air goes below but we are in the cockpit when underway and it is just great through December and January when the big stripers are here. Like Tim's it is tapped into the same hoses going to the hot water heater with its own ball valve.
I had a circulating block heater installed so starting would be easy despite the absence of glow plugs. The heater also prevents condensation on internal metal parts which leads to rust and the destruction of recreational diesels long before they would wear out from use. I have not turned it on yet this fall but it is almost time.
I never feel so lucky to own my Albin as when we are trolling for stripers in January and I look out from the warm cabin at the guys in all the open boats in the cold wind and salt water spray. I know they are hardy types and are dressed for it but I sure wouldn't want to trade places with them.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's the Winds Not The Cold Temps...

Post by RobS »

RobS wrote:More than not, in Nov & Dec it's the wind factor that makes it tough to get out.
Well, Ric, I hate to have to say it but I was 100% right on the money. Since mid-Oct I was able to break the inlet twice to get outside for fishing/diving. Nothing to do with the cold, just the darn winds this time of year. I was basically available every weekend but the seas would not allow. And the 2 days I did get out were mid-week days where it was take it while you can get it. This is the first Thanksgiving weekend I can remember for at least 10 years that I did not get in the ocean for wreck fishing or a dive.

Your water's may be more sheltered than the inlet and ocean I have to contend with. Late in the season it's the ocean or nothing for me. The only other option is bass fishing around the inlet but way too many boats to make it enjoyable - Kinda like driving though a shopping mall parking lot during Christmas season with all of the women in SUV's on cell phone's.....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

TOY-RIFIC got pulled today. Was launched back on April 19th, so almost an "8 Month 28TE"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Rob .. that's a great 1st season with many more to come I'm sure! I know you had nice mix of enjoyment with family & friends. That's what it is all about. Way to go. Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations and being a big part of the AOG, traveling by car to the Rendezvous and taking the bull by the horns and setting the stage for next years NE Rendezvous event. Boating season is only 4 months away. :) Happy to have you be part of my 400th post.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”