• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Reversing the engine vents

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reversing the engine vents

Post by mackidaddy »

Hello everyone,
I noticed the engine vents in the hull just below the rubrail face forward and scoop a lot of water during moderately rough sea conditions. Other Albins I've checked out appear to have the vents facing the opposite way. I was planning on reversing them to make her a bit more seaworthy. There seem to be many other vents around so I doubt I will starve the engine for air. Has anyone else switched them? Anything I should know before making the switch?
Thanks,
Eric
'08 Newport
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Re: Reversing the engine vents

Post by mhanna »

I agree completely I do not like the idea of forward mounted vents but I think they serve a purpose.
Every Albin I have seen has them this way but it does not seem to make sense for engine air needs, I can only think that the vents catch air for engine compartment cooling. As Mackidaddy points out there are many vents for engine air but these forward mounted ones would be the only ones that bring in fresh air while underway. This "could" help reduce compartment temperatures.
I have never had the issue of taking on water through them but have always thought forward facing scoops, especially ones so close to the water line does not make sense.

Sorry I do not have an answer on this, just some thoughts....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Both of my last boats had rear facing vents. (Searay, Sunrunner) This one has none. I assuming because I have the engine box. I would think if you are concerned about circulation you could install a blower?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had to reverse the vents on my old Mainship...as did most of the other owners...never had an effect on engine performance or engine room cooling. I don't see how it could...a turbocharged engine pulls in much more air than the boat can by "ram air" thru the vents.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

jleonard wrote:never had an effect on engine performance or engine room cooling.
Good to hear, I think I will turn them around then as well !

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

While we are under this subject, has anyone ever damaged the vents while docking? Yesterday I got a little cocky go into my berth. I have dock wheels on my berth left there buy the last boater. I entered a little faster then usual and just about ripped the vent off on the starboard side when it hit the dock wheel. I''l be making a trip to the local boating supply store for a replacement. I'll also be asking my marina to remove the dock wheels as they actually make it harder to get into the berth. The wind blows cross wise to the berth , as soon as I turn the wind catches me broadside. The dock wheel on the starboard side(down wind) basically becomes a pivot point and the boat starts acting like a seesaw if I do not get it in quick enough.

Paul

1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Capt Paul wrote: Yesterday I got a little cocky go into my berth.

Paul

You've been watching this video too much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqsfRUJn2I
John
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Capt Paul wrote:...and just about ripped the vent off...
Look something like this one from a boat I looked at a while back....

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

RobS,

That's exactly what it looks like now, I heard this awful sound and couldn't figure out what it was until I was standing on the dock and saw the damage.

John,

I don't think I will ever be able to do that and not hit something, I got to give it to them, their good!

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

If one of youse guys with the dented vents will measure the size and post it. I think (will have to look) that I have a rectangular new SS vent among my "bought never used boat crap" and if it's the same size the first respondant can have it for the shipping cost from Ct.
(If I just disobeyed a rule here sorry about that)
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:If one of youse guys with the dented vents will measure the size and post it. I think (will have to look) that I have a rectangular new SS vent among my "bought never used boat crap" and if it's the same size the first respondant can have it for the shipping cost from Ct.
(If I just disobeyed a rule here sorry about that)
Jay
WAIT...let me check the rule book . . . . . . . .NOPE! No rules broken. Thanks for helping out a fellow Albineer. :wink:

You guys may also want to send a note to Bo Palmer. They may have them.
John
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I can't be sure, because I don't know the measurements, but I'd be willing to bet that they are a standard size and can be replaced with a unit available from any marine supply store.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/l ... /Ns/P_Sort

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=12408

They're intended to be used with a collector box and hose, which should have an inverted gooseneck in it to prevent water inflow.

You may also wish to swith over to a louvered style, if you prefer the look.

If you are having problems with water getting into the engine compartment, I think the only real solution is to relocate the vents to the inside wall of the cockpit. Then, glass over the old holes and apply gelcoat. If you can't match the color, perhaps this is a good place to put the name on the side of the boat in unusually large letters?
mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mackidaddy »

Thanks for all the feedback.
I too think those vents are pretty common at westmarine or my favorite, defender. If someone beats me to replacing and or reversing those things, would you mind reporting how difficult the procedure is? Many thanks.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The vents are readily available at most marine supply stores. I needed to replace one after the yard hauled my boat one year .... somehow it got damaged ... it was easily replaced by removing, as I recall 4 small screws, a litle caulking and done in lees than 10 minutes.

There was a discussioin a year or so ago about water intake through the vents .... worth the read viewtopic.php?f=7&t=995&hilit=vents+collection+box
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mackidaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mackidaddy »

Thanks Kevin.
BTW, I am JP's buddy who you gave a tour a few years back. Thanks for the info and inspiration to step up to the plate on an Albin. Not looking back whatsoever. Nice machine.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”