• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

free opinions!

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

If you're buying, get a engine survey along with the boat survey.....there are older GM made 6.2...a later GM made 6.5 and the latest GEP that's a GM designed engine with improvements. Like everyone else says, if it's been well maintained, has good service records...(and most boaters keep a pretty good log/record of maintenance and repairs), then I wouldn't be too afraid of one. If I opened the engine compartment and seagulls few out...or the wasp nest was bigger than my fist...I'd be afraid....very afraid...
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

The main reason you see all those Peninsular engines in mid-90s 28s is that the dealer rep at the time was a big parrot head, and so was the president of Peninsular, so they hit it off big time. The dealer rep would argue that the engine was the right weight for the boat and provided the best balance.

Also, that dealer rep could not stand Japanese products, so no Yanmars were offered. I know of one boat that got a Cat 3116, but it was way too heavy for the boat.

I probably sold more Cummins than Peninsular boats. The 250 was a nice 20 knot boat, and the 315 was just awesome. 29 knot top end and 25 knot cruise. It did need a trolling valve to slow it down enough to fish for rockfish.

If I was in the market for a 28, I'd just wait till I found one with a 315 Cummins and snap it up.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

Yea, you better be fast....I found several with Cummins and all sold before I could even call. I found two with 370 HP Cummins B models and one with a 330 HP B model Cummins. I bet those boys will push a 28 pretty good.

Honestly I really like the Yanmar, these are the same folks ( Toyota ) that can crank out over 500 HP from a 4.5L engine in a race car. The idea of getting 300 HP from a relatively lightweight engine in a relatively light boat like a Albin 28 makes sense to me.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

chiefrcd wrote:, these are the same folks ( Toyota ) that can crank out over 500 HP from a 4.5L engine in a race car.
500 hp from a 4.5L race motor? What the heck are you talking about, Nascar? I'm no toyota fan, and even though they are mid-field at best, they are pulling more like 800 hp from pump-gas, normally aspirated 2.4L V8s in F1, and they've done pretty well with some of their sportsracers and prototypes as well.

Granted, that has little to no bearing on industrial or marine powerplants.

From talking with the factory, they aren't especially hot on the 370 Cummins in the 28. I can understand why...with the skeg under the hull, it's just not designed to be a fast boat. About 300 hp seems to be a good fit.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

Yea..that's what I said....800 HP..... :D
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My numbers are about the same as Denis. I <think> my top end may be a little more, but not much. (one of these days I WILL get out the book and record the power curve as promised in another post)
My average GPH so far this season is 3.6. About 90 hours. Since this is my first diesel I have nothing to compare it to. But, to date, I have no problems with the engine to report. I did have a hose go bad last weekend but I consider that normal. The only problem I have is the hot starting issue. The clum relay is too close to the block. When above 90 degrees I put a cold pack on it for a few minutes to cool it down. Otherwise it won't start. (pouring cool water over it works too) There is a kit to move it. 85.00 from Peninsular.

I also agree with Zelatore. There are horror stories out there. But, whenever I spoke directly to a Peninsular owner, there were no complaints. Maintenance is everything.

The previous owner of my boat kept great records and I intend to do the same.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlMar »

I have a chance to look at a 28 with the Cummins 250 hp, but It seems like it could be a little low on horse power. Speed is not my prime consideration (I get 15-17 mph out of my CAT in a 32), but with that low HP, isn't it being pushed a bit? I'd be happy with a boat that did 15-18 kts cruise. Thanks for all the inputs guys. Love this forum.
AlMar
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

AlMar wrote:I have a chance to look at a 28 with the Cummins 250 hp, but It seems like it could be a little low on horse power. Speed is not my prime consideration (I get 15-17 mph out of my CAT in a 32), but with that low HP, isn't it being pushed a bit? I'd be happy with a boat that did 15-18 kts cruise. Thanks for all the inputs guys. Love this forum.
AlMar
The 250 Cummins has a 2600 rpm redline, and will run all day long at 2400. The ability to run near it's redline, plus it's torque, allowed it to perform as well as a 300hp high rpm engine. It was really a nice package.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “General Discussion”