• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 315 winterizing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yanmar 315 winterizing

Post by NJRobert »

I was wondering if anyone out there might have a "shortcut" sugestion for winterizing the engine? I have a 2" hose coming in and it's been a task to try to attach a longer, more flexible hose to it, while trying to prevent an air leak, when putting in antifreeze. Wondering what anyone else has done.

Thanks
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Good question. I was thinking I would just take the top off of the strainer(after closeing the Through hull) and just keep pouring in some anti freeze until the pink stuff started comeing out of the exaust. I think there have been several posts about this, so that might be where I came up with this plan. I did winterize all of the other systems today, but still have some fishing to do. Should be fine unless we get a straight week of weather in the teens. The water the boat is sitting in is still in the 50s.
I have always been told not to worry about it unless the water around the boat freezes.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I have done just what Carl said. Close the through hull, idle the engine while pouring pink stuff in the strainer. I believe I used 5-6 gallons last year before pink started coming out of the exhaust. Then I put in 1 more for good luck (dilution concern) :lol:

* make sure you bottles are already opened or have it in a large bucket or such. You dont want to have to open containers and pull off those foil seals while doing this and let the engine run dry.....

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

mhanna wrote:or have it in a large bucket
Last year I had poured 3 gallons in each of two 5 gallon buckets and just poured it into the strainer while she idled. Helps to have a 2nd person to monitor the color of the exhaust and then kill the engine after it goes pink for a bit.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Winterizing

Post by NJRobert »

Thanks everyone for the strainer suggestion. Having a second person would make this a very easy job, I agree.
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Winterizing

Post by RobS »

NJRobert wrote:Having a second person would make this a very easy job, I agree.
Shouldn't be hard to find someone as no skills required for this one.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Also, if you're winterizing in the water using this method, don't forget the part of the raw water intake hose between the seacock and the strainer, and the seacock itself. I once cracked the ball valve on the raw water intake because I forgot to drain the chamber of the closed valve via the little plug, and the slug of water trapped in there froze.

Once closed off, I use my topsider pump to completely vacuum the water from the hose and from the ball valve (and do this for all other thru-hull ball valve chambers as well). I'm pretty paranoid, but have seem some really weird things happen when the temp gets in the teens for a couple nights in a row, blige heaters or other tricks notwithstanding.
pcthornton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pcthornton »

I used Carl's method, and this is consistent with what the dealer told me to do. First, he recommended against using the pre-mixed -50 antifreeze because it will be further diluted by the raw water remining in the engine. So I got the undiluted, nontoxic antifreeze ($17/gallon) and mixed it 60% antifreeze and 40% H2O. I used 2 1/2 gallons of antifreeze and 1/1/2 gallons of water and mixed it in a clean, 5 gallon bucket. After changing the pencil zincs on the engine (4 out of 5, as I couldn't get a wrench on the one on the end of the fresh water cooler) I removed the sea-strainer cover, closed the seacock and started the engine and immediately began pouring the 4 gallon cocktail into the sea-strainer. I was surprised that it didn't draw in the antifreeze quicker. After pouring it all in I then watched the exhaust and waited for the red stuff to begin coming out. I then shut 'er down for the winter. Finally, I stuffed oily rags up into the exhaust and put a plastic cover an duct tape over it.

This was my first time winterizing the engine. I was a bit nervous but felt good after it was done and I won't be so timid about it next time.
ColinT
"Patriot"
2002 28TE
Barrington, RI

Return to “Albin Maintenance”