• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

boat wiring..just learned that...

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tomcat rio

boat wiring..just learned that...

Post by tomcat rio »

.d.c. ground wires are supposed to be yellow and a.c. ground wires are supposed to be black..and of course, they should be isolated.
if i put an ohmeter across my shore power a.c, ground wire and say, my engine block, it should read open..
easy check, might save some zinc wear.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Not sure where you got that info.

Typically, DC ground refers to the negative side of the circuit. As a matter of practice, these wires are always black. AC ground wires are universally green. Green is also used to designate the galvanic grounding system that ties all the metal parts of the boat together and, in turn, connects them to the zincs. This is done because that same system serves as the AC grounding system.
tomcat rio

the electrician at the marina...

Post by tomcat rio »

informed me of recently released uscg regs.
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

You are right about the DC negative being Yellow per NMMA standards. I’m not sure what year this came into effect, but it’s been the standard for several years now.

This is to avoid confusion with the black (hot), white (neutral) and green (earth/ground) wires used in AC systems. You'll also see that the bonding system is wired with green. Don't be tempted to use the bonding system for a DC ground or you might find you're eating zincs breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Return to “General Discussion”