• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Repairing Rudder Posts

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Hot Water

Repairing Rudder Posts

Post by Hot Water »

Can anyone share any experience or advice about fixing corrosion and/or leaking from the rudder post of a 32+2?
If seen some info about this on a 28, but nothing on the 32+2.
I assume they are not the same configuration, but I am not sure.
Hoping to get this rectified while in storage oer the winter, as the corrosion is getting worrysome.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

i learned something new today after the survey. Extremely informative regarding components on board. I never new about having a wire make a clear contact to all metal that come in ccntact with all under water metals that also helps avoid the ?? electrolisis corrosion along withe the zincs (feel free to correct me on the concept) useing a volt meter to check the contacts... new to me
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

At least on my boat, a 94 Albin 28' they did a pretty good job of grounding/bonding all metal parts together. The only problem I have found is that it is necessary to check all the connections once a year or so, to make sure they have not come loose or gotten corroded. Pull on the wires then remove the bolt or screw and clean them with emery paper. I have had two crimp connections come loose and pull out, I am soldering in new connectors when that happens. I do not completely understand all the nuances of boat grounding but I just make sure that I install a new block zinc every year and that everything is tied to it. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I had a corroded bronze rudder post on the old Mainship 34 I had. I removed the rudder and had the post replaced. It was machined out of the rudder and a new post was pressed in and pinned. It was a great repair.
Hope this helps.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I wondered if "Packing" was anything like packing a valve on a steam radiator, a cord & some graphite like stuff with a lubricant
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

"packing" is flax packing.

http://www.tacomapropeller.com/6684/228 ... cking.html

(scroll down to see a picture)
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

It may not be as important for a rudder post as it is for the prop shaft, but the Goretex packings are supposed to be drip free. I have a dripless shaft seal on my Albin but Shamrock owners post that this stuff works.
http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gf ... l#instruct
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”