• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cummins 6BTA (370 HP) Oil leak

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Cummins 6BTA (370 HP) Oil leak

Post by Doug »

My engine has developed an oil leak. It appears to be on the port side (1997 32+2), and the oil seems to be mostly on the bottom side of the tube that I beleive is the turbocharger oil drain tube.
This is about a 1" tube that comes from the turbocharger and goes back into the engine near the oil filter.
I checked the filter and it is tight and does not show any signs of leaking. The engine has around 900 hours on it.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I would suggest removing the tube, checking for cracks or pinches, replacing any gaskets and re-installing it.

I have know specific knowledge of this engine or part, so this is just general advice.
Doug
First Mate
First Mate

Oil Leak

Post by Doug »

The tube is going to be very hard to remove because of all the other things surrounding it. If it turns out to have a crack, I may have to JB Weld or do something else like that in order to fix it.

A friend of mine looked at it and found the oil dip stick was not completely seated. He was able to push it in about a half inch.

We cleaned all the oil off the engine, flushed the bilge, took the boat out and ran it for about 20 minutes and there is no sign of a leak, so I still do not know what is causing it.

Doug
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

You very well could have solved it by re seating the dipstick tube.
There is a lot of internal pressure with a turbochrged diesel...my Dodge truck Cummins pushes some oily mist out thru the dipstick from time to time if I run it hard...it has to go somewhere if the vent system can't handle it all.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”