• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electric drives?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ben
Mate
Mate

Electric drives?

Post by Ben »

I'm new to the group and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a 25 powered by an electric drive? It is a growing interest among sailboats who use electric drives to get in and out of marinas or anchorages. Some boaters appear to be having some luck with "hybrid" systems running a generator/solar to charge batteries which in turn power the elec. motor.

Sound fantastic to me, quiet power and electric motors achieve full torque at almost 0 rpm all the way up to peak rpm.

Some companies to check out if you are interested.
Solomon Technologies, R-E-Power, OSSA Powerlite, Fisher Panda

Ben
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

The biggest challenge has been the sheer weight of the batteries required to provide any reasonable cruising range. Ultimately, boaters who value economy and environmental impact enough to consider a "hybrid" or electric boat, generally tend to gravitate towards sailing, which, of course, achieves the best of both with the minimum of disadvantages.

Electric outboards are gaining in popularity for use on small sailboats and tenders, but I don't see the same technology gaining ground on larger boats any time soon.

I'm not sure if diesel-electric drives offer any fuel efficiency improvements, but if they do, I could definitely see that technology popping up on new boats in the near future.
Ben
Mate
Mate

Post by Ben »

I agree mariner, I had a hard time deciding on a powerboat instead of sail but when it came right down to it, the best times to get out there are generally low wind times of year around here. (late spring to mid fall) Therefore, I'd end up under power anyway. There is also the upkeep of sails and lines in addition to generally less interior space and the danged draft.

I'm actually looking into the diesel-electric "hybrid" situation most likely it is too expensive. Hopefully battery technology will catch up somehow. I have dreams of cruising silently without dealing with sails.

Ben
1984 Bonum 25
Still to be named?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We made the switch to power about 7 years ago and it's a mixed bag.

The first thing I discovered was that powerboats don't always have all that much more space. In fact, they often have less. At the very least, the space is more divided, due to so much space being taken up by larger engines. Powerboat layouts tend to provide more visibility to the outside from the main salon, which certainly gives the impression of space, but it isn't always reality. A common thing I see is people looking at the fuel economy of displacement hulls and buying a powerboat that has a hull speed of maybe 7-8 knots to save fuel and money. This is something that completely boggles my mind. If you are ok with going that speed everywhere, why not buy a sailboat and have the ability to sail? The most common response is, "not everyone knows how to sail". All I can say is, "so learn."

To me, the decision to go with a powerboat is about having the extra speed when you need it. With the cost of fuel these days, I find myself cruising around at 7 knots much more than I ever thought I would. That's the same speed we cruised at in our 36' sailboat. But the fact that I can easily kick it up to 10 knots, or even 15 if I want, is worth a lot. Especially since we live all the way down here in Gig Harbor, but like to spend time up in your neck of the woods. In the sailboat, this was a minimum of a two day trip. Now, I can do it in a day or a day and a half, and then spend my time putting around the islands for a week or longer at displacement speeds.

And when I get the itch to go sailing, I just lower the sailing dinghy off the back and hop in.
Ben
Mate
Mate

Post by Ben »

I lived on a Gulfstar 40 in Fla. and love to sail, here in the islands my boss has a 29 Alberg most of the summer he is lucky to get 3-4 knots under sail if he can even move without power. We just don't have the winds very often here when the weather is warm and it's easy to get some company to join in the adventure.

I am getting (well when she was running :( ) around 7-8 knots cruise and 10-11 knots WOT when I started shopping for boats I wanted a minimum of 8 kts and a maximum of 1.5 gal/hr. I do find times that I wish I could go a little faster and then I relax and we get there soon enough.

It takes me a little more than 2 hours to get from the Shaw Island to Anacortes.

At some point I would like to upgrade to a Albin 32 or possibly a similar size Catamaran. It might be a while given the cost of descent boats.

By the way is there a rendevous in the San Juan Islands?

Have a great evening. Ben
1984 Bonum 25
Still to be named?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Ben, I've been trying to put together a Rendezvous either in the San Juans, Seattle, or Port Townsend for a while now. We have several people who have expressed interest, but not quite enough yet to make it happen.

However, I think by next spring, we'll have enough members to get it going.

I organize a Boston Whaler owners rendezvous every year and I've found that typically only 1/2 of the people who say they will come actually show up. Since I only had 2 or 3 people express interest, it didn't make sense to do it for what would likely only be a 1-1.5 boat turnout. :wink:
Ben
Mate
Mate

Post by Ben »

My girlfriend and I would do all that we could do to show. Our summer is packed fairly tight we work for a summer camp in the islands. (mid May to mid Sept.) I could possibly still swing it in the summer but it would be harder if it were in Seattle or Port Townsend just because of the time away from work. I just hope that I don't show up as the half boat.

Are the rendevous usually held in a marina or on the hook?

Ben
1984 Bonum 25
Still to be named?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”