• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

PENINSULAR

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

BOUNTY
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, FLORIDA

PENINSULAR

Post by BOUNTY »

I am looking at several boats that have peninsular engines. Other than the defective GM blocks and the glow plug problem are than any other major problems. what is the range of serial numbers of the boat with the above problems.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I usually grab a beer and wait for this thread to start going but I'll jump in today. :)

I <think> the problem years were 94-96 and affected engines that were run hard, hot, and not properly maintained. It did affect around 10% of the engines produced those years. <rumor> I really don't know. It depends on who you talk to. We have several members with the Peninsular and there is only one I can remember posting bad information about the block.

The glow plug problem you mentioned is not really the glow plugs. It was the glow plug timer/clum relay. On a cold start you turn the key and wait 10-12 seconds for the glow plugs to heat up. When the amber light is out, the timer has cut off, and you start the engine. When the engine and outside temp is HOT, the timer would cut off in 2-3 seconds. Not enough time to heat up the glow plugs and start the engine. The previous owner of my boat didn't mention this to me. The first time it happened I was on the hook all afternoon and the boat would not start. I learned after that to pour some cool water over the relay. After I was chastised for pouring water over electrical components :roll: I switched to a cold pack that I kept in the freezer. That worked for a year or more. Then I finally purchased the new timer kit from Peninsular. 75.00 if I recall. I also bought new glow plugs (10.00 ea.) and replaced them as well. The new manual switch still stays on about 15 seconds and it also has a momentary position for a little extra if you need it.

Before I replaced the glow plugs the engine would crank about 5-6 seconds before starting. Now it's 1 second. Worth the money.

Peninsular also recommends two batteries for starting. Buy the best you can. I purchased the Odyssey batteries and have no starting issues.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Oh yeah...to answer your question.
No other problems. 8)

I did notice that the Peninsular is a little louder than the Yanmar and Cummins.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have a 94 Peninsular engine and have had the boat for four years. I have not had any problems with the engine at all. I did install the glow plug timer a few years ago and that worked great. I have called the factory a few times for information and found them to be very responsive plus I get to talk to an actual human who is knowlegeable, a real plus. My fuel economy is very good, just under 11GPH at cruise speed, 18 knots and 2,950 RPM and average 4.6 GPH for the season. The engine is very easy to perform maintenance on, filters, pumps and zincs are easy to get to and not high priced like some of the engine's found out there. I agree the John, you need two batteries to start the engine. If you get a boat with the Peninsular, just get it and forget it. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”