• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Performnce of 31 or 35 TE

jeff sharff

Performnce of 31 or 35 TE

Post by jeff sharff »

Have been looking hard at either 31 or 35 TEs. Most of use is off shore of Columbia River chasing salmon, halibut and tuna. Tuna is about 50-60 miles offshore with varying seaconditions. Also will consider taking the boat into the san juans and inland passage north of Vancouver island. Questions 1. how does it handle rough seas say 4-6 ft steep chop at short intervals. 2. how does it handle a following sea. 3. Is the ride comfortable into a head sea or does it pound. 4. How comfortable is it for living on the boat for weeks at a time when we are heading north.

Thanks
Jeff S
henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

31 te performance

Post by henry robertson »

i have 31 te and fish 30 to 60 miles off shore
4 to 6 ft seas not a problem--have good wipers as spray flies no pounding experienced in two years
following seas are predictable and i usually use auto pilot(tabs up)

be advised i am a first responder and have had calls requiring very fast response in terrible weather--six footers some higher and wind at 20 k + had white water over bow--and boat speeds in excess of reasonable(responding to lives at risk) other larger boats turned back but i find the 31 te to handle very well the only wish was it would turn faster---heard of a new rudder to fix this.
have been with a 35 off shore and they seem a little dryer and less roll than us--never run one .
if you are looking for fast cruise and reasonable handling the albin is it
otherwise go with a trawler.
henry
henry
albin 31
TD
First Mate
First Mate

TE 35

Post by TD »

Don't know how a 31ft handles but I have a TE35. I fish out of Neah Bay mostly--have been to 74 square, blue dot, Umatila and Canadian Swift sure bank. These are 25 to 50 mile trips. In good seas I do 20mph at 1800rpm and get real close to one mile/gal with twin Cummins 370hp. I am retired and don't go out in rough seas like 6ft at 6 sec or even 6ft at 8 sec, but have been in some of the stuff. I just slow the boat down to about 8-10mph and this gets rid of most of the pounding. There is always that one out of 10 waves with the right wind wave combined that wil get your attention. The big keel really stabilizes this boat.
The 35ft is very comfortable for two people. The biggest drawback is where to put a freezer. I just buy a 110V 5 cubic ft freezer and put it with rubber mat and strap in the very back middle cockpit. Works well for me. I have been thinking of taking out a bunk and putting it in there. I did the same thing with my 39ft SeaRay before this boat and had a 5 week trip north with it. One other thing that might be a negative is there is only one capt chair so for long trips you might want to put another one where the table is for your mate. I saw this done on a TE35 in Bellingham.
Hope this helps a bit.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”